Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 23, 2017

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2004. We took Mattie to Roosevelt Island and as you can see he found some dandelions along the way. This was a tell tale Mattie sign... he always found objects in nature to collect, carry on his walk, and bring home with him. I think this photo was down right precious! A happy boy with his dad. Notice the red socks.... Mattie gravitated to red and he looked so cute in it. 








Quote of the day: It was such a spring day as breathes into a man an ineffable yearning, a painful sweetness, a longing that makes him stand motionless, looking at the leaves or grass, and fling out his arms to embrace he knows not what. ~ John Galsworthy


Today was a glorious spring day.... in the 70's! Absolutely unheard of for February. It is actually quite confusing to see people mulching yards and getting ready for Spring. Either they are early or my clock is all off. I am expecting winter and still entrenched in winter, so to me this is pleasantly disorienting. 

As you can see Sunny was patiently waiting for me to get ready this morning to take him for a walk. NO pressure!!! As Sunny becomes acclimated to us, more of his personality comes out. He herds and follows me ALL day long. I have to admit it is disconcerting at times, which is why his previous owner gave him up. But Sunny is a sweet heart and truly just wants to be part of the family. But this sight this morning just made me laugh. 


Sunny and I had multiple walks today and all I can say is..... people seem happier with spring like weather. I had more people say hello and stop and talk with me today. In fact, Sunny made a friend with a dog named, Lucy, by the waterfront. Lucy is a rescue as well, from the same shelter as Sunny! They got along great and followed each other for part of the walk. But I can't tell you the conversations I had today..... two women stopped me because they were having a reunion and wanted their photo taken. They then asked all about Sunny. Then I had toddlers with their parents coming up to us wanting to pet Sunny. Thank goodness Sunny is full of sunshine, and I don't worry about him being aggressive or mean spirited to anyone he meets. Now if you are a squirrel, you will see a totally different side of Sunny. But if you are human of any age or a dog, he is going to approach you with a wagging tail. 

No comments: