Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 25, 2017

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2002. Mattie was three months old and sitting in his favorite place.... his car seat. Don't ask me why Mattie loved his car seat, but he did. He preferred it over a stroller and don't get me started about a crib. Mattie HATED his crib. He despised it so much that for the first several months I put the car seat in the crib and let Mattie rest in his car seat/crib! What I love about this photo, was Mattie's dreamy look. A look that he always got right after a bottle. 


Quote of the day: Spring is the time of plans and projects. ~ Leo Tolstoy


Tolstoy was absolutely correct. Today was 80 degrees in DC. We had the windows open, we opened all the boxes that came to us for the toiletry drive, and then I got inspired to have us work on cleaning our deck and getting it ready for spring. In addition, we moved all our plants from inside to out. So between the clean out and migration of plants, we were at it for HOURS! 



I ordered Sunny a Sherpa type crate liner for when he boards next week. As soon as I took it out of the packing box, Sunny walked to it and claimed it! I am glad he likes it and hopefully it will remind him of home while we are away. 
This is the final product after hours of clean up. Between picking up leaves and debris, our perennials needed to be cleaned out and cut back. Then of course everything needed to be hosed off. We went through about four or five garbage bags of debris!
Last year, we bought a canna lily. Since last year, the plant has grown exponentially. It has been inside all winter, but now it is thrilled to be back outside. 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, I love the look of Mattie in the picture! I always called, this the " food coma " look. After they have had a satisfying meal, as sleep settle into them, they get this dreamy look. I love it!! It was smart of you to put the car seat in his crib. Truthfully, I would never have thought of this!!!

All those pots on your deck, that I know will be brimming with flowers soon. You definitely have a green thumb. I am not so successful with a garden. Fortunately Ken is. Although last year, I chose a plant for Kimber so we made our whole garden, Kimber's garden with rocks and seashells. We plan to do it again!

I am glad Sunny liked his special blanket. I feel badly this is your option because I know you would rather not have to do this. I am glad you eased him into going there.

I keep thinking about the Cart at Sinai. How excited, the children were! When. I used to visit kids on the hospital unit before the office got so big and it was harder to go for quick visits, I always filled my pockets with those small bubble gifts on a string. They could wear it around their neck and open up the container and blow bubbles. This was especially important for the kids who were recovering from surgery. To help clear their lungs. I had heart, star, circle and regular kind of bottle in my pockets. Watching the Child Life person even know what some kids would want was the best testimony of how well, she knew her patients. I will long remember this day💖