Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 1, 2017

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken during the Spring of 2006. Pictured with Mattie was Nancy (a preschool buddy) and Margaret (Mattie's teacher and my "dear" friend).  It is hard to believe that both Mattie and Margaret are now both gone from our lives. Mattie of course taken by cancer and Margaret, ALS. Today is the third anniversary of Margaret's death. Thanks to Margaret's daughter, I had the opportunity to sit with Margaret as she received last rites by a priest and to say good-bye in 2014. Mattie went to a very special preschool. It was his second school, as I pulled him from the first preschool he attended in DC. Needless to say I was leery about Mattie trying a new school, but during the school's open house, I met Margaret. The rest was history. I LOVED Margaret the moment I met her and so did Mattie. It was in Margaret's class that Mattie had many firsts and many positive experiences. Something I will never forget. Margaret used to write me the most beautiful updates about Mattie in school, and then of course once we became friends we would have special lunches, teas, and trips to the museum together. Today and always I miss both Mattie and Margaret. 


Quote of the day: A pearl is a beautiful thing that is produced by an injured life. It is the tear [that results] from the injury of the oyster. The treasure of our being in this world is also produced by an injured life. If we had not been wounded, if we had not been injured, then we will not produce the pearl. ~ Stephan Hoeller



Today I took my friends Peggy and Jane out for a post walk lunch to celebrate the money we raised and Peggy's birthday. These two women are really amazing supporters of the Foundation and of me. They sat with the stress of trying to raise $80k this year. It is a very nerve wracking position I'm faced with each May. Because without a certain level of funding we can't operate our psychosocial programs. I am lucky that Peggy and Jane are committed to what we do and stand behind us not only with their own money but with their incredible efforts to fundraise and get attendance at the actual event. The photo I posted above with Mattie, Nancy, and Margaret..... well Nancy is Jane's daughter. So Jane and I have known one another since 2005, when Mattie and Nancy were in Margaret's classroom. 


More Walk photos! Tonight's photos capture the beautiful faces at our Walk. 

Literally there were cats, spiders, bunnies, butterflies, and the SUN at our Mattie Miracle Walk, thanks to Kip, our amazing face painter. 

The lady on the left is Debbi, Mattie's sedation nurse angel. Just an incredible person, nurse and friend, alongside her daughter, Michaela.

This is Charlotte and Parker. Margaret's grandchildren! Margaret may not physically be with us, but Margaret's daughter Ali has picked up where her mom left off. I have a feeling Margaret would be deeply moved that her daughter and grandchildren support a Foundation she was so passionate about. 



Kip had quite a line at her table, but kids and adults were thrilled by her beautiful artistic results!!!


No comments: