Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 14, 2017

Friday, July 14, 2017

Friday, July 14, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2002. Mattie was three months old and I had him on the couch propped up with pillows. To me his look was precious and priceless! Don't you just love his eyes and his look of inquisitiveness! If we only knew what he was thinking of!




Quote of the day: Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt


Sunny went to the groomer's today. This is typically something he DOESN'T like doing. However, some things like staying clean are not negotiable. I have met the groomer several times and I like her and Sunny seems to have a rapport with her. He is just not thrilled with the facility that houses the groomer, which is why I won't board him there. In any case, when we entered the doggie day care today, the woman behind the front desk let out with a big "good morning Sunny Bunny!" With that Sunny's tail started wagging. It was the first time I saw him actually happy rather than bolting for the door. Naturally as soon as I turned around to leave him behind, he wanted to come with me. At the end of the day..... you should see how handsome he looks, not to mention smells so much better. Sunny gets groomed once a month and we have been doing this together since we got him in September of 2016. So 11 months of this, he should be getting used to the routine!

Typically on grooming days I have my licensure board meeting. But today's meeting was canceled. Nonetheless, I started my list of to dos..... starting with grocery shopping. Though we live in DC, we RARELY shop in DC. Because Mattie's preschool and elementary school were in Alexandria, this is typically where I do ALL our shopping. Rather funny if you think about it! In any case, as I was entering Safeway this morning, I heard someone say "hi Vicki." I turned around and it was one of my friends from Mattie's preschool. Alexandria City isn't a small place, but I swear you can't go anywhere there without bumping into someone. Totally NOT true in DC, which is a typical city. 

Any case, Safeway had a credit card processing problem this morning. Not just this store, but it was system wide. NO Safeway store was accepting credit or debit cards. Literally panic ensued in the store. People abandoned their shopping carts full of food right at the counter because they couldn't check out! I am telling you it was a scene. So much so, that while my friend and I were talking, we literally greeted each person coming into the store and alerted them about the credit card issue. I felt like Safeway should have hired us, because we literally created quite a greeting committee. 

Later in the day I met up with another friend from Mattie's preschool days. Mattie went to preschool 12 years ago, yet so many of these moms and I remain friends. I am not sure if that says something about the preschool, Mattie, me, or losing Mattie. Many of these preschool moms are also dedicated volunteers of the Foundation. Rather incredible if you think about it. However in both cases in the morning and the afternoon, I had the opportunity to listen to my friends as they were sharing thoughts, issues, and concerns. After both encounters, they told me how much they appreciated me. Mind you I gave them nothing more than my time, my ears, and my perspectives. I would say Eleanor Roosevelt was correct, as I know I receive joy (though not sure that is the word I'd use) from helping others. 


Later this afternoon, we had one of those incredible DC thunderstorms. Lightning, thunder, whipping wind, and rain. Rain going side ways. Not sure my picture does it justice. But at times it was like white out conditions, as we couldn't see buildings across the street from us. 
Meanwhile this was happening under my desk and on my feet. Sunny gets very scared by the thunder and lightning and heads for cover! Usually he goes into my walk in closet, but apparently hiding under the desk by my feet was today's safety plan! It reminds me of when I was going to high school in Los Angeles. In California you not only have fire drills, you also have earthquake drills. What you do in an earthquake is sit under a desk (because we were in school). The desk in theory will protect you from objects falling during a quake. Sunny transported me back to high school today.  

No comments: