Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 7, 2017

Friday, July 7, 2017

Friday, July 7, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2003. Mattie was in Boston visiting Peter's parents. He was about a year and a half old. As you can see we were sitting before a pond, and at the pond were all sorts of birds, including ducks. Mattie loved to visit the pond to feed the ducks. Naturally we came with a bag full of bread. Which made it a wonderful outing for Mattie. 


Quote of the day: The value of marriage is not that adults produce children, but that children produce adults. ~ Peter De Vries


It was pouring today, which is NOT my favorite weather. But we escaped the rain and dampness and headed to Mahoney's. An amazing garden center. 

Paul Mahoney opened the first Mahoney’s Garden Center in Winchester, Massachusetts in 1959. Today we remain a family-run home and garden center with eight retail locations in Winchester, Tewksbury, Wayland, Concord, Brighton, Falmouth, Osterville and Chelmsford, and a growing facility in Woburn. As a full-service garden center, we are dedicated to providing the highest quality and largest selection of garden plants, gardening products, and gardening services. We offer top-quality plants and supplies to satisfy the needs of home gardeners and landscape professionals.

There are incredibly large, well organized and enticing greenhouses to browse through for hours. Everyone working at Mahoney's is service oriented and seems to love what they are doing. 

Isn't this a lovely sight on a rainy day?
 Peter browsing the rows!
We are actually taking home a sunflower plant and jasmine. We have never grown either, so we shall see how this works. I am in LOVE with sunflowers, as they symbolize love, community, and support to me. Why? Because when Mattie was battling cancer, our support community would always deliver me a bundle of sunflowers. You would be amazed how these glorious yellow faced flowers can brighten a horrible day. 
There is a great expanse of outdoor flowers, trees, and bushes on display at Mahoney's! Despite the rain, we meandered around the spaces outdoors and indoors. 

















I have never seen a hibiscus like this. The flower literally was a rainbow of colors. 

In addition to selling plants, they also sell fresh cut flowers. Flowers you can use to create your own displays, or they will create displays for you. 

I photographed two small arrangements they made. What caught my attention was the price. This small arrangement is $45. But keep in mind this arrangement is minuscule. 
This other small arrangement was $60. Why I find this so entertaining is that I create flower arrangements all of the time! My arrangements are large to extra large. I truly believe if I sold my arrangements at Mahoney's the price tag would be several hundred dollars. 

It is our last day in Boston. We drive back tomorrow morning, and I hope that the trip back is easier than the trip here (which was 10 1/2 hours long). 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, I don't like rainy days either. They easily can set the tone of the day for me. I would have loved MAHONEY's. So glad you went someplace cheerful too brighten the day! I look forward to hearing how the plants, you bought thrive in the weather, we have here!