Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 14, 2017

Monday, August 14, 2017

Monday, August 14, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2006. Every August we took Mattie to Los Angeles to visit my parents. One of the places Mattie loved to visit was Griffith Park. A beautiful park filled with all sorts of activities, many of which were right up Mattie's alley. Such as a train, like the one you see in this photo. I can't tell you how many times Mattie rode this train. The train took us around parts of the Park, and along the way, we saw displays featuring kid themed characters (Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs, etc) and even a barn filled with ponies. Mattie loved it and so did we. The irony is I went to high school in Southern California and yet NEVER visited Griffith Park. Neither did my parents. However, once Mattie came into the picture, we did all sorts of exploration and adventures with him. As Mattie preferred being outdoors!


Quote of the day: It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. ~ Charles Darwin

This adorable and fit lady is my new zumba instructor. Her name is Hilary. How did I find her? From my previous instructor who went back to work full-time. Last week I tried Hilary's class, but she had a sub teaching the class. The sub was great, but Hilary is fantastic. She has high energy and appeals to women of all ages. Which I admire. The class ranges from people in their 30's to their 80's. I think this is the beauty of zumba, as you can tailor the steps and moves to what you are comfortable and able to do. Also the point of the class is to have fun, move your body, and feel good/healthy. 

Last week I tried the class for free, so I was going to pay for today's class since I had my first class free already. However, when Hilary realized it was my first class with her actually teaching, she came out to greet me personally, and told the receptionist not to charge me for today's class. She is an absolutely lovely person and clearly attracts lovely people to her class.

My previous zumba class was special to me. It was taught by a fellow mom at Mattie's school, and the women in the class became part of my social network. Which was important to me because after losing Mattie, I really had to re-invent myself and my friendships. Since I lost many friends from childhood cancer. When my previous instructor decided to stop teaching zumba and return back to full time work, I was truly saddened. To me it was a loss. A loss of exercise, friendship, and belonging to something. I had been going to that class for years. So for two years now, I have been zumba free. It was only recently that I decided to move out of my comfort zone and try something new. Or as Darwin points out in tonight's quote.... I was responsive to change. Social situations are no longer normal for me. But since my former zumba instructor located Hilary's class for me, I decided to take a chance and try it. 

Before class started today, one of my classmates came up to me and introduced herself. She has been attending Hilary's class for three years and considers herself a regular. Janet then introduced me to other women in the class and I could see that Hilary has created quite a loyal community, not unlike the community I experienced in my last class. Not every teacher has the skills to create such a safe and welcoming environment. Hilary also has a Facebook page, which I had been reading through before attending class today. I am sure many students don't care what a teacher's life, feelings, and beliefs are.... but to me it all matters. Hilary is a mom of two boys and I notice she raises money for brain cancer. I am sure I will learn more as time evolves, but I guess the moral of tonight's blog is sometimes being open to change provides opportunities and new experiences that are actually important to one's quality of life. 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Hi Vicki. While I read your blog last night, I saved commenting until this morning. I often, not always, read your blog late. I love the picture, you post of Mattie. Last night's with you, your Dad & Mattie in the train was another especially memorable picture. I love seeing Mattie's smile. It is quite engaging. Reading what you were doing, thinking of the things, Mattie loved to do, I am sure this was a great time!

Change is often hard for me! As it is for a lot of people! Comfort zone is the word that comes to mind when I see change possibilities or have them happen unexpectedly. So this quote will leave me thinking and wondering about finding a Zumba Class! Exploring this possibility would possibly open up a world of can do for me!!!