Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 29, 2017

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 -- Mattie died 415 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2006. Mattie was four years old and my parents and I took him to San Diego. While there, we toured the USS Midway, an aircraft carrier, that is now a floating museum. Mattie was fascinated with the aircraft carrier and explored the ship, floor to floor. You can't tell here, but in the photo Mattie was holding a disposal camera. I got him one to take the photos he wanted to capture. After all seeing the world from Mattie's lens was much different from my own.


Quote of the day: Have patience with all things but first of all with yourself. ~ St. Francis de Sales


Today is my last day in Los Angeles. In my parent's living room has always hung this painting. This is a painting of me, if you can't tell! It was painted when I was about 10 or 11 years old. As my mom was a teacher and as such she knew many talented people. The art teacher at her school painted this portrait. I assure you this was NO easy task for me at a young age. This woman's studio was in her attic, which was freezing! I had to hold this pose for hours and I want to say in total this painting took months of posing and sitting still. At the time I did not appreciate it, but now looking at it, it is a wonderful and beautiful tribute to the innocence of childhood. Back when I had no idea about childhood cancer, much less cancer in general. Somehow a painting to me seems much more striking to reflect upon than a photograph! 

For the last two weeks I have seen NOTHING but sunshine. Totally unlike DC, which I call the grey city. I have never seen such intense clouds and grayness in comparison to any other city I have lived in. Today in Los Angeles it was over 100 degrees! When I open my parent's front door, this is what you see.... mountains and vegetation. Again a night and day difference from my citified life. But you get a feeling for the LA heat, when you look at the brown mountains devoid of vegetation! The greenery only exists in area that receive irrigation. 
This is a view of the mountains from my parent's backyard. It is a very peaceful setting and you rarely hear noise, despite the fact that within a five minute drive you are in the bustling city of Burbank. 
















In their backyard is this persimmons
tree. The tree was planted by the previous owner, and if you have never seen this fruit before, it is orange when ripe and feels like a tomato to the touch. Yet they have a sweet, cinammony, taste but its really not like any other fruit. Some people compare it to a mango, but I think it is totally different.
Mattie was an outdoor kind of kid and when he visited my parents, he would spend time in this backyard as well as in their front yard. Mattie loved running after the little garden lizards that inhabit the property and at one time, my parents and the neighborhood had garden snails. When I tell you we used to do afternoon walks looking and counting snails, I am NOT kidding! If Mattie were lucky enough to find snail shells without a creature inside, he collected them and brought them back to my parent's house. He had quite an assortment at one time. Which was totally Mattie. He never came back from a walk empty handed, he always loved to collect something and bring it back! Believe it or not Mattie had collections from nature on two coasts. 

1 comment:

Margy Josr said...

Vicki, I so appreciate this blog - all parts. I love that Mattie had the disposable camera. I too, feel seeing things from the lens of a child is totally different and a good learning experience.

I love your quote for several reasons. Most of all I love the portrait of you. I can't imagine sitting still that long in a cold attire but the portrait is a treasure. You have changed little in appearance but every bit of the innocence, you had during this period of time is completely gone.

The views from your parents home are breathtaking. I can see Mattie running looking for the snails. I can also imagine him loving the outdoors of this area. I love mountains! Saw the Mountains in Arizona in 1988 in June when I flew with my Mom to visit my Arizona brother, Kevin. Upon landing, I felt as if I had been transported to another world. Unlike Arizona, California has green with the beauty of Mountains.
I can only imagine, you hold tightly to the memories of each visit to you parents along with the side trips, you took to San Diego. Mattie missed out on so much of life but the years, he lived, you provided him adventures for every single thing, he loved!
Of course, I will always & forever sorry, they end because of the cruelty of Cancer!