Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 28, 2017

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009, as Mattie was recovering from his sternotomy, to remove nine tumors in his lungs. There were times during Mattie's treatment when he just wanted to go outside and get fresh air. So literally taking him to the hospital rose garden was a production with IV's, oxygen, a wheelchair and nurses in tow. The nurse on the left in this photo is Miki. In fact, I just ran into Miki this week while pushing the Mattie Miracle snack cart at the Hospital. Miki is one of Mattie's memory keepers and she understood the importance for Mattie, Peter, and me to get out of the hospital and have a change of scenery when possible. It naturally took these nurses off the unit and they had to balance their other duties, but they are amazing women, who accomplish the impossible to help their little patients. 


Quote of the day: The dead leave their shadows, an echo of the space within which once they lived. They haunt us, never fading or growing older as we do. The loss we grieve is not just their futures but our own.Kate Mosse


Why is it when someone dies, our friends and family may pause for a brief moment to acknowledge the loss, but then as a few weeks go by we are expected to return right back to normal? This is more of a rhetorical question because I do not really expect an answer, nor do I think there is just one answer to explain this phenomenon. This week alone, I was talking to two different friends. Both of whom experienced a significant loss in their lives, one a mom, and the other a brother. Keep in mind that these deaths did not happen months or a year ago, but instead PLURAL.... years! The fact that years drift by, lulls others around us to think that we are okay with the loss. That we know it is a part of our lives but we have managed to 'move on.' Two of my LEAST favorite words. 

It is hard enough managing friends who knew Mattie and know our story, but what happens when you make new friends and these friends know NOTHING about the trauma you experienced? It becomes a fine line of deciding whether to share this information or to what extent makes sense to share. I hear this issue arise with many people I have met who have lost a child. But it is applicable really to any significant loss. Once you lose someone significant, your world turns into pre and post. Pre-loss and Post-loss! You measure everything and everyone in your life against these two points in time. 


Speaking of losses, today would have been my maternal grandmother's 110th birthday! It is hard to imagine as it doesn't seem like that much time has passed by without her in our lives. My grandmother was the one in pink sitting down in this photo. In fact, I got this photo from my lifetime friend, Karen. Apparently her mom has it sitting on her dresser. This photo was taken during my grandmother's surprise 80th birthday party. She was truly shocked that evening and had no idea my mom planned this event. It is a sad commentary that my grandmother never got to meet Mattie, as I think he would have challenged her in different ways than I did as a child (my grandmother lived with my parents while I was growing up, and was a significant part of our family). But it is my hope that in some shape or form Mattie and my grandmother are together now, celebrating with a vanilla cupcake. Ironically they both liked vanilla, and hated chocolate!

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, I don't think there is one answer either for your rhetorical answer. However, whatever the answers are that people would give, would make no sense to me. The loss of a child is significant to the rest of the parent's lives. There is no back to normal! What is normal after this loss - nothing. I am not telling you anything, you are Mattie's Mom. Rather, I am trying to make sense of why anyone would not see this.
While death is part of life, I will always believe that death out of order, creates a vacuum and nothing fills this in parents lives. No parent should have to face the death of their child yet many do! The fact that much of society sees mourning as a period of set time tells me most people don't want to face a fact that doesn't touch or affect their life.

Your grandmother looks like a sweet woman. I imagine, she would have enjoyed the challenge of Mattie. His energy, interests and inquisitive nature probably would have given her another way to look at things in life. Children and their varying personalities teach so much to adults if we remain open to the lessons. Some very important things in life, I have learned from Children. I may have been the adult during our interaction but they were the teachers at times.