Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 22, 2017

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken during Halloween of 2004. Mattie was two and half years old, but this was his third Halloween. For Friday and Saturday's blogs, I posted Halloween photos of Mattie from 2002  the and 2003. However by 2004, Mattie understood the notion of Halloween and it was his first year trick or treating. But like the previous year, Mattie did not want to wear a costume, mostly because he did not want anything heavy or itchy against his skin. So again, we returned to Target and together we picked this cute Winnie the Pooh sweatsuit. It may not be a full fledged costume, but I think Mattie made the cutest Pooh!


Quote of the day: I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers. ~ L.M. Montgomery


It has been a glorious weather weekend in Washington, DC. When DC has its typical Fall or Spring weather it is very special. Today was in the 70's, with not a cloud in the sky. We took Sunny to Roosevelt Island and he had a great time sniffing and checking every tree out!

The resident Great Blue Heron was in the water, and all of us walking stopped in our tracks to take in this sight! 
After a two mile walk on the Island, Sunny literally sat in the parking lot for a water break!
After a water break, you can see that Sunny was revived!
This is what I get periodically at home! If Sunny wants my attention, he lies on his back, paws up and with his tail wagging back and forth. This is his attempt to get my attention to come on over and rub his tummy! The funny thing is this usually elicits a response from me. 

Life with Sunny is not boring and he always gets Peter and I moving, walking, and observing the world around us. 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

I like Mattie's POOH costume. I think the best costumes come from those that provide the most comfort. Clearly Mattie had a preference and even at 21/2, he made a great choice.

Every home should have a Sunny! Who bring joy, adventure and the unexpected. The only other dog, I know that lays on his back like this is Rounder. Even Biscuit looks at him as if to say," what are you doing." But Rounder get a response so continues to do it. I miss seeing Rounder & Biscuit.

Definitel, we are going to Roosevelt Island. Have never been and each time, you mention it, I mention it to Ken!