Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 22, 2018

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 -- Mattie died 453 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2009. My friend Christine, held Mattie's 7th birthday party at her house and she arranged for Reptiles Alive to perform for the children. This was right up Mattie's alley since he LOVED snakes and basically anything that creeped me out. 

I think it is quite special that now ten years later, Reptiles Alive came to our 9th Annual Walk & Family Festival to entertain our participants. They hosted a 30 minute show, followed by a 30 minute meet and greet with exotic animals. It seems like we have come full circle now. 


Quote of the day: Never forget that you are one of a kind. Never forget that if there weren't any need for you in all your uniqueness to be on this earth, you wouldn't be here in the first place. And never forget, no matter how overwhelming life's challenges and problems seem to be, that one person can make a difference in the world. In fact, it is always because of one person that all the changes that matter in the world come about. So be that one person.  ~ R. Buckminster Fuller


Tonight's feature photos from the Walk were taken during the Reptiles Alive show!


This is Rachel. She is the educator from Reptiles Alive who spent time with us at the Mattie Miracle Walk. As you can see she brought all sorts of snakes to the event!
Kids and parents of all ages were fascinated! Look at these expressions. 
Rachel told me that the kids were very animated, bright, and inquisitive! So she loved her audience and her audience seemed very engaged with her show. 
Look at the focus and concentration!!!
A show that appealed to big and smaller children. Given that this was our first year having a Reptiles Alive show, I wasn't sure what to expect! But I am so happy it was a hit. 







I took this photo of Rachel with Peter and my mother in law, Barbara. I think it is a priceless shot and I know Mattie would have been proud!

This snake's name is Sunglow. Believe it or not, I even touched Sunglow. Can't say I loved it but I did not freak out as I usually do around snake. With that said, I think I was brave because Rachel was holding this fellow. If I saw this thing out in the real world, I most certainly would have bolted the other way. 

No comments: