Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 1, 2018

Friday, June 1, 2018

Friday, June 1, 2018

I made this composition today and sent it to Margaret's daughter. As today marks the fourth anniversary of her death. Margaret was Mattie's preschool teacher, and became a close friend of mine. Mattie really matured and thrived in Margaret's class and frankly most of the moms in that class (back in 2005), I am still close to today. There are many photos posted here, some when Mattie was alive and two after he died. You can see Mattie's preschool photo (lower right) as they toured a garden, Mattie sitting on the playground with Margaret and my friend Jane's daughter (upper right). The photo where we were all dressed up, was because Mattie Miracle was invited to the Four Seasons to receive a recognition award from Georgetown University Hospital (lower left). Then of course the photo in the center was Margaret, her husband, daughter, son in law, and first grandchild at a Mattie Miracle Walk. Margaret helped me behind the scenes and always fundraised for us. In fact, it is thanks to Margaret that we received our first corporate sponsor for the Walk back in 2011. Why the roses? Because Margaret had an extensive rose collection in her backyard and loved them. 


Quote of the day: Was it always to be like this, she wondered. A moment of joy followed by a new sorrow? ~ Soheir Khashoggi



Today was a bittersweet day because on one hand it's the anniversary of my good friend dying and on the other hand I celebrated my friend, Peggy's birthday. It is surreal how this can even be possible. But it seems to be that life is filled with happiness and sadness at the same time. They aren't mutually exclusive anymore.

To celebrate Peggy's birthday, we had a lovely lunch in Old Town, VA, and believe it or not, I started lunch with chilled cantaloupe soup! It was absolutely amazing. 

Pictured with me is Jane (in pink) and Peggy (in blue). Jane and Peggy work VERY closely with me during Walk season. They help me make the Mattie Miracles possible by helping me raise funds and inviting people to the Walk. Prior to having these two ladies, I really did not have a daily sounding board, help, and input about the Walk. Especially help within the last three months prior to Walk day. I am very lucky they are so committed.

To put things into context, look at the photo above of Mattie in the playground with Margaret and a little girl with red hair. The little girl is Nancy, and Nancy is Jane's daughter. We have known each other for 13 years and as for Peggy.... well I met her at a jewelry party a friend hosted shortly after Mattie died. Though Peggy did not know me back in 2009, she gave a portion of her jewelry party sales that night to Mattie Miracle. So if I step back and wonder where my friends come from, there is only one answer.... Mattie. We are all connected to him in some way. 

No comments: