Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 21, 2018

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 -- Mattie died 466 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken on August 19, 2009. As you can see Mattie was wearing oxygen cannulas by that point. Despite how depleted and in pain he was, he mustered the energy to ride around on Speedy Red. Speedy Red brought some joy to Mattie's last few weeks of life. Which may explain why I was never able to part with Speedy Red. Speedy basically rusted out on our deck, as I did not have the heart to move the vehicle or give it away. 







Quote of the day: I wondered why somebody didn’t do something.  Then I realized, I am somebody. ~ Unknown



I am now back in Washington, DC. It was a VERY long day of travel. This was my view from the plane during take off from Los Angeles. For just a period of time, I was over the Pacific Ocean today. 

But it was a challenging commute home, which started with a 90 minute car trip to the Los Angeles airport (which is ONLY 27 miles from my parent's home). LA has a VERY big traffic problem and the ramp to get into the airport was backed up for miles. Literally I was in a stand still. This is one airport that you can't play around with timing. You absolutely need to allot about four hours to commute to the airport and get through security! 

It was close to a five hour flight today and the first two hours were filled with turbulence. Thankfully I did not know about the terrible storms in DC. About an hour before we were scheduled to land the pilot informed us that National airport had been closed to air traffic because of rain and wind storms. He did not say much more than that, other than we were going to be in a holding pattern. However, I overheard the flight attendants talking about the possibility of re-routing our flight to another city. Thankfully, the storms stopped and they began to reopen the runways. But the back up of planes was significant. So much so, that there weren't enough crew members on the ground to help get planes to their gates and luggage to the terminal. So there was a lot of waiting around! Some passengers were not happy, but I was thrilled not to be in the air. Fortunately I can say that we had one smooth landing, and I was prepared for the worst given the storms that were reported to us!

Meanwhile, someone is thrilled that I am home! Sunny is lying down right behind me as I type this blog entry!

No comments: