Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 27, 2018

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Thursday, September 27, 2018


Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2003. Mattie was about a year and half old and as you can see was multi-tasking. Something Mattie did all the time! This was classic Mattie. On the TV was a children's video playing in the background. This was how Mattie watched TV. Meaning he was co-processing what was happening but also was actively doing something else. The something else in this case was going through all his videos in the TV cabinet, checking them out, stacking them, and overall playing with them. 




Quote of the day: Hang on to your hat. Hang on to your hope. And wind the clock, for tomorrow is another day. ~ E.B. White


Like many Americans today, I too was glued to the continued coverage of the Kavanaugh hearing. Hearings that involve allegations and questioning of professional behavior interest me. Most likely because of my own role as a licensed professional and having to preside over many ethical violation hearings of counselors in the District of Columbia. As such, it is hard to weigh evidence and to come up with a fair conclusion. I am not writing about this hearing today because this brings up all sorts of feelings on both sides of the aisle. Feelings which have no place or merit on this blog. 

But what instead is of value to me as it relates to this blog is the power of social media and the ability for others to follow along even if something is not personally happening to them. I would say that all America is invested emotionally in this hearing today. The constant coverage enables this! To me my personal analogy was Mattie's cancer diagnosis and our public expressions about our daily journey. When I first started writing the blog in 2008, I did it to update our community and to keep family and friends posted on the daily occurrences, surprises, nightmares, and joys Mattie experienced while undergoing treatment. I know many people would tell me that they felt like they were going through this with me each day, while reading my words. In fact, people who I never met before would tell me that they felt like I was their friend because they got to know such intimate details of our lives. 

Despite my candor about Mattie's treatment, I do admit that I did not post 100% of what was happening to us. I felt that some things were too personal, or could be construed as hurtful by my readers. Especially those who wanted to support us and thought that visiting us in the hospital and talking to us would help ease our isolation. Or at least this would show they cared and were providing support. The problem was I understand my perspective on this and I could understand theirs as well. But at the end of the day I realized that I had a child who needed protection and also we needed a community to rally around him. I felt like I walked a fine line every day. Walking this fine line has consequences on one's nerves, energy, and attitude on life and people. 

I mention this because I have great sympathy for the family members of both sides portrayed in this hearing today. Having the courage to talk openly about one's beliefs and character as a person is not easy, but doing so in such a public forum, allows for all sorts of social media commentary. Commentary that has ways of hurting family members. Permanently. Regardless of what happens in this hearing, my feeling is that both sides have lost and lives are forever changed. Which brings me great sadness. 

No comments: