Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 12, 2018

Friday, October 12, 2018

Friday, October 12, 2018

Tonight's pictures were taken on October 10, 2009. Each item you see  was created by Mattie. Mattie was VERY prolific while hospitalized. All of these photos were taken at Mattie's celebration of life ceremony held at the Visitation School, a block away from Holy Trinity Church (where the funeral was held).  You can see a metal version of the Empire State Building. A structure Mattie built with Peter, and the kit was purchased while enduring treatment at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. The black and white light house was a birthday card Mattie created for me with the help of my in-laws. It was my last birthday card from Mattie. There were foot and hand prints on display as well as the model magic birthday cake Mattie created to celebrate Peter's birthday. 

On the poster board, were all of Mattie's valentine's to me from 2009. Mattie made each of these in the child life playroom at the hospital. Next to the easel was Dr. Crazy Hair. A character Mattie brought to life one day in the clinic. In the coat pockets of the doctor, you could find Mattie's version of a stethoscope and an oyster shell (representing a patient's toe nail).
We were very lucky that two of our friends took on this project. They organized each piece, like a gallery, and created placards next to each item, providing context. They got the context from interviewing me. Many of the items you see here are still on display in our home. Mattie loved painting!
This was a photo of Mattie's Lego model of an ideal hospital room and pediatric center. Besides having more space and closets, the facility had an outdoor space and playground. Something Mattie would have liked when cooped up in a hospital room. In fact, Mattie created a story about this display, and this story remains framed in Georgetown Hospital's children's art gallery on the first floor. 


Quote of the day: Pain nourishes courage. You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you.Mary Tyler Moore


It has been a long day today, especially on days when I have a licensure board meeting. It adds to my tasks. I have asked numerous times to resign from my position since Mattie died, but basically I am told I am needed. Apparently they don't want to replace me. 

Last night, we had a dramatic change in temperature. With quite a wind storm. I can only imagine what Florida and North Carolina endured, because the whipping wind woke me up out of a deep sleep and then I couldn't go back to sleep! Sunny did not like the sound of the wind either, as he came into our room and hid in the closet. So we have gone from the the 80's yesterday to today's 60 degree weather. It is no wonder people all around me are physically ill. I was in a meeting today with people sneezing, coughing, and noses dripping. I wanted to sit with ten feet between us, but of course that wasn't possible. 

I am signing off for today because between head and hip pain, I am exhausted. 



1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Hi Vicki,
Hope I am commenting on last nights blog 10/12.
I am also hoping I am returning to reading them. I have missed them. Yet my tradition of bedtime did not work. So now I am starting first thing in the AM when I can.
I love you quote. While this is not new as your quote always warmed me for different reasons, I read different things into this one - so I wrote it in my book.
When I look at Mattie’s art, the variety of things, he created, the cleverness, like the toenail in the pocket, I know we would have enjoyed each other’s company. I often mention how I wish I had known Mattie. I know in a way, of course, I do. I know you very well & I know Peter.
The two most important people in Mattie’s short life. He was so loved . He continues to be even by complete stranger because I love Mattie. His living, creating even as he suffered is encouragement to make the most of life - we never know - yet he was but 6 at diagnosis & he knew.

I think of you & your hip a lot even though I can barely find a text where I ask.
Love you, Margy