Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 12, 2019

Friday, April 12, 2019

Friday, April 12, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2004. We took Mattie to Roosevelt Island that weekend and in typical Mattie fashion he found something to collect. In this case it was two dandelions. Mattie also loved to sit on Peter's shoulders. It gave him a great view and I can't count how many hours or miles Peter logged  this way. But it was MANY!!!










Quote of the day: There is no one alive who is Youer than You. ~ Dr. Seuss


Today is my dad's birthday. Believe it or not, my parents have been out of their home since the end of January, when a part of their house flooded. Due to the intense California rains. It is NOW April, almost three months later and they are still living at a hotel. Well you know when you live anywhere for a period of time, you start to get to know the people. Not unlike our time in the hospital when Mattie was treated for cancer, the nurses and staff became our family. So in essence the hotel has become a second family for my parents. Tony, the man pictured here, had a special birthday cake made for my dad. He surprised my parents with it today and I am so happy this moment was captured on camera. 

Though Mattie was a child, he liked the fact that he shared a birth month with his "pop pop." Mattie would have approved of the cake and I am happy that my dad could be celebrated as these are the challenges I face living across the country from my parents. 

I had a marathon licensure board meeting today. Try a 6.5 hour long meeting. Sunny wasn't happy with me one bit. The funny part about all of this, is apparently I have a reputation for being a "firecracker." A good firecracker though, because I just do not go off without purpose. Having served in this role for many years, I know my content, and apparently the combination of knowledge and my personality makes me memorable. Or so I am told. Any case, this just made me chuckle hearing this!


This evening, we walked to dinner. As we walked through the George Washington University campus, I snapped many lovely photos. Photos that document that spring is finally here!


 Absolutely love the tulips!
How about these redbud trees. They are electric in color! Until I moved to Washington, DC, I never heard of a redbud tree before.  
Happy pansies!
Have you ever seen purple tulips before?

No comments: