Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 20, 2020

Monday, January 20, 2020

Monday, January 20, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2005. Mattie was two and a half years old and as you can see I wanted him to pose for a photo of us by our Christmas tree. I have no idea where we received the Happy New Year's hats. I most likely saved them from an event we went to before Mattie was born. Despite my best attempts to get Mattie to take a New Year's photo, it never happened. I think Mattie's face says it all on how he felt about my photo request!







Quote of the day: Lucky is the spouse who dies first, who never has to know what survivors endure. ~ Sue Grafton



On January 20th, I always post a tribute to my maternal grandmother. She died on January 20, 1994, at the age of 86. My grandmother lost her husband to colon cancer (when she was in her 50's) before I was born. By the time I came along, my grandmother was already living with my parents. So to me a multi-generational household was normal. 

This photo was taken at my grandmother's surprise 80th birthday party. Pictured with her was my mom's friend Marian and Naomi, my lifetime friend's mom.
This photo was taken probably when I was around 10 years old. It had snowed and my grandmother and I went outside to shovel. In tow was our collie, Heidi. 
A photo of me shoveling with grandma. She had to be around 72 years old in this photo, but she was sturdy, believed in doing things herself, and loved all creatures big and small. 

Facts about my grandma:

  1. She was born in 1907, in New York. 
  2. Both of her parents were born in Italy. 
  3. She was the oldest of five siblings.
  4. She married at the age of 16. Her husband was born in Italy and was a contractor for commercial and residential properties. 
  5. She had three children. Her middle child died. 
  6. Though she did not work outside the home, she had numerous skills. Cooking being at the top of the list. 
  7. She was a born caregiver and cared for everyone in her family. 
  8. She sponsored many family members to come to America, and is in essence responsible for their successes and improved quality of life. 
  9. She was a kind, gentle, caring, and loving person. With a very easy going personality. 
  10. She had two grand-daughters, but we shared a very close bond. As I was known to call her "mom."
  11. Her favorite color was green. 
  12. She introduced me to Days of Our Lives at an early age. To this day, I still watch it. 
  13. She played the piano by ear. 
  14. She wasn't a fan of chocolate (not unlike Mattie).
  15. She wasn't squeamish. She could handle everything from mice to seeing blood. 
  16. She did not know how to drive. 
  17. She loved to read and was well informed about all current events. 
  18. She was a Bob Hope and Bing Crosby fan. As a result, I have seen all the Road to.... movies. 
  19. She loved lily of the valley flowers. 
  20. She suffered a massive stroke in 1990, which left her physically disabled. She died 4 years later.  

No comments: