Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 9, 2020

Thursday, January 9, 2020

Thursday, January 9, 2020

This photo was taken on January 11, 2009. We took Mattie back to NYC to start an experimental treatment. When in New York, we stayed at the Affinia Gardens, close to Memorial Sloan Kettering. I will never forget our hotel experience there, as everyone was LOVELY! Literally we checked into the hotel and the front desk staff took one look at Mattie and the next thing we knew, they upgraded us to an incredible suite. It was at the top floor with an incredible view of the city, it had two bedrooms, a full kitchen, patios, you name it! Though Mattie couldn't walk much, he did stand and took a few steps in this amazing space. 


Quote of the day: Winter blues are cured every time with a potato gratin paired with a roast chicken.Alexandra Guarnaschelli


I absolutely agree with the author of tonight's quote! The bright spot of winter is winter foods! It is a real shock to the system to go from warmer weather back to our winter. Of course owning a dog, regardless of the weather, you have to be out and about in it!

Today, Sunny went for grooming. I am sure the average person would think I was nuts, as Sunny goes to Chantilly, VA for grooming. That is about a 40 minute drive for me each way. Why do I do this? Well I met Sunny's groomer in Alexandria, VA, back in 2016. However, she has changed workplaces multiple times and with each change I follow her, as she has a good rapport with Sunny. Any case, after his grooming today, we took Sunny to Walker Nature Center in Reston, VA to walk in the woods. 
I am quite familiar with Reston, because when I was in graduate school, I had a very close friend who lived there. Reston is a planned community and as such it is very well laid out. Communities have beautiful properties and access to walking trails, water ways, shopping centers, and restaurants. The beauty of it is that it doesn't look built up, and this was the sight we saw along the Walker Nature Center walking trail.  
What you can't see is that there were houses all around, lining the woods! So literally the owners of these homes have these walking paths in their backyard. It is a great place to walk a dog, and to move around in peace. Unlike the city! 

Of course, I can't help but associate Reston with my former friend. I say former, because after 15 years of friendship, she severed it. Her family felt that Mattie's death was too much for her and therefore they advised her not to continue our friendship. They felt that was in her best interest. Do note that at Mattie's funeral, my friend did not attend. I was concerned about her since I did not see her at the funeral. So I reached out to her. It was when I reached out to her that she told me she couldn't talk to me anymore! She did not even have the courage to tell me that herself, and frankly if I did not confront the issue, I most likely would never have heard from her again. I have trouble understanding her family's logic, but after Mattie died, I didn't have the energy or where with all to argue over this decision. She wanted to walk away, and I let her. It is yet another lesson I learned through Mattie's diagnosis. The people you think will be by your side and remain there, don't! 

No comments: