Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 1, 2020

Saturday, February 1, 2020

Saturday, February 1, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken on February 5, 2009. Mattie was in the child life playroom and sitting next to him was Sally. Sally was "the story lady!" Mattie loved Sally and no matter how sick he felt, he never turned down a visit from her. When Mattie wasn't well enough to go to the playroom, she came into his room. With her stories and props she could transform any environment. Mattie would eagerly play along and she truly brought moments of happiness to both of us. 


Quote of the day: Baking may be regarded as a science, but it's the chemistry between the ingredients and the cook that gives desserts life. Baking is done out of love, to share with family and friends, to see them smile. Anna Olson


We took Sunny for a walk on Roosevelt Island today. Something we did practically every weekend with Mattie. Mattie loved it and so does Sunny. The beautiful part about the Island is that it is just minutes from us and though it is surrounded by city, it is a wonderful wooded space that makes you feel more serene. 

There were deer out and about! Can you see the one in the middle of my photo? Sunny loves spotting deer and I am sure if he was off leash, he'd be chasing them. 
See what I mean? They were everywhere! These deer are clearly used to the presence of people, and for the most part they watch us and we watch them. 
This was a baby deer. She caught my attention. Apparently next to her was her mother. I did not see the mother, but Peter did. This would have been a total Mattie moment, as he loved seeing animal moms with their babies. Whenever he saw such a pairing, he would say to me.... that's us!
Meanwhile, we have been invited to a Super Bowl party tomorrow. Which is hysterical because I despise football and truly am not a sports person. It doesn't interest me in the least. But my friend says the game will be playing in her basement area and those who don't want to watch the game will be in the family room. 

We were asked to bring cookies. I debated about whether to buy them at a bakery or bake them myself. Certainly buying them would have been easier, but to me there is something special about making them yourself. After looking at the prices of cookies in our local bakeries, I decided.... I am definitely baking! Today we made two dozen macaroons and three dozen chocolate chip cookies. 

I am still stunned by what I learned. If I wanted to purchase two dozen macaroons and three dozen chocolate chip cookies (from a bakery, not a grocery store), I would have paid over $100. Clearly I have missed my calling, as I should set up shop and bake cookies all day! 

No comments: