Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 16, 2020

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2007. Mattie was five years old and was full of life and energy. He loved his tents and tunnels. I can't tell you how he integrated these things into his play schemes. I am so happy I was picture happy and snapped the every day antics and adventures of Mattie Brown! 











Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 3,556,403
  • number of people who died from the virus: 138,141


I went for my every 6 month appointment today to see my urologist. I have been seeing this urologist since the Fall of 2009, when Mattie died. It has been a long journey with this doctor. She can be a handful, but she is competent and every referral she has given me has been excellent. In fact, she is the one who found my kidney stone issue. They say when someone you love dies traumatically that parts of your body hold the grief. I would say my bladder is one of those organs. I had an 11:30am appointment, and typically that would be the worst time to see the doctor as she is always running late. But due to COVID-19, things were moving like a well oiled machine. It was awe inspiring and I wish every day in her office was this professional and user friendly! I was in and out in 20 minutes. Unheard of!


When I got back home, we took Sunny for a walk on Roosevelt Island. Look who was crossing the path in front of us? A deer!
She was looking at us! Frozen in her tracks. 
Sunny was getting too close for comfort, so she moved along. 
Watching us from a more secure place!
Sunny was besides himself! Deer and squirrel!
I am getting an education on long term care insurance and catastrophic major medical plans. My dad is big into insurance plans and therefore, he has both at our disposal. Which is wonderful, but now trying to understand what they mean and what they entitle us to is a completely different story. I am grateful that the caregiving and home health company my parents are using are so professional. As we have assigned financial people and case managers who I can call or email. They are helping us navigate a very confusing process! I have no idea how families manage without people like them who are savvy and know what legalese and other terminology means or better yet have access to professionals who can find out the answers for us!

No comments: