Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 21, 2021

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. Mattie was in NYC receiving an experimental immunological treatment for osteosarcoma. In between appointments at the hospital, we tried to do fun and memorable things with Mattie. Such as going up up to one of the observation floors of the Empire State Building. Everyone working in the building was super nice to us and Mattie and Mattie enjoyed sitting on top of the world!


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 24,610,051
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 409,641


Since I have gotten home from Los Angeles, I haven't slept well. We have military trucks and police cars stationed on the highway right outside our bedroom window. They have been there for a week, 24 by 7. This entails lights and noises at all hours of the day. I have come home stressed and the environment around me isn't helping. In addition, yesterday I received three calls from my mom. Each call was about an hour long and it involved some sort of issue to address. To me the chaos and frenzy I lived for a month in LA, seemed to follow me home. It is very unsettling getting calls from someone screaming at you. 

This morning I had a conversation with my long time urologist. I have had issues with her in the past, but I have found a way to make our relationship work because she is competent. But today, I had it. She wanted me to take a form of estrogen about six months ago. Not orally, but topically. So the dosage is supposed to be minuscule in comparison to an oral version. However, when I consulted with my gyn-oncologist in September, she gave me great counsel. She said that NO form of estrogen (even a minuscule amount) comes without risks. Risks, I am mean, potential cancer. Of course that is all I had to hear! So I elected NOT to follow the urologist's treatment plan. When my urologist found this out today, I could tell she wasn't happy with my decision, or even that I consulted another doctor about this! TOO BAD! Not only did I sense this, but she said that her services were no longer necessary for me, as I am working with this other doctor! Absolutely absurd, as she is a urologist and the other doctor is a gyn-oncologist! I held it together, and told her outright, that I still needed to be seen by her, given my bladder history! LORD,,,, who is being the doctor??? 

It was my first day back to Roosevelt Island since I got back to DC. Sunny loved it and we saw MANY deer. Can you see this cutie with his antlers?
This evening, we attended a virtual webinar held by Peter's internist. The doctor is converting his practice to concierge service. Which comes with a yearly fee. But in turn you have access to your doctor 24/7, can get appts that day with him, and have longer doctor visits (45 mins, rather than 15-20 mins). This doctor is tired of being regulated by insurance companies and big hospital systems. He wants to be truly dedicated to patient care, and return to the human element.... which is why he said he became a doctor. Some slides were shown tonight. Look at the percentage of physicians who feel they are unable to practice medicine on THEIR OWN TERMS!!!

This slide says it all! Around 75% of diseases in the USA are preventable! Yet the healthcare industry spends only 3% on preventative services! This doesn't come as a shock to me at all. You only have to interface with the healthcare system once to conclude this quickly. As I say often..... I have to be my own doctor and in the process, all my physicians need to be managed by me. Otherwise, my healthcare falls between the cracks. 

No comments: