Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 26, 2021

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

In May of 2008, we took Mattie to Calvert Cliffs, in Maryland. This is a very special park. You walk about a mile into the woods (it is a beautiful walk) and at the end of the walk, you land up on the beach. This part of the Chesapeake Bay is known for its fossilized shark's teeth. Mattie would dig and dig until he found some. I literally have a Ziploc bag full of teeth from our many adventures.


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 33,188,028
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 591,922


We dropped Peter off at the airport this morning, as he has a business trip to Omaha, Nebraska. Then Sunny and I headed to Roosevelt Island. It was a hot day, it almost felt like a summer, with high humidity. As I mentioned last night on the blog, Brood X cicadas are in full force in our region. While walking with Sunny, I recorded the sound so you can hear it! It would be impossible to describe and even the video doesn't do it justice. It truly is like something out of a sci-fi movie. It is a constant and almost deafening sound. 


I took a close up today of these red beady eyed creatures. I hate to tell you this, but I wasn't the only one taking photos of them!
What's with the holes!? This is where the 17 year cicada migrates up from the earth, in order to mature and mate. There are holes everywhere! Gives you some understanding for the volume of bugs all around us. 
In the warmer months, there is no way Sunny can walk without water. We had many stops today along our journey. I also caught Sunny trying to eat a live cicada. I stopped him, as I hear these bugs can cause gastric upset in dogs. 
As we were about to leave the island, Sunny stopped in his tracks, and wouldn't move. So I looked closely and sure enough, there was a deer. 
Meanwhile, Indie is in Peter detox. She is so desperate that she is now spending time with me. This cat hutch sits on my desk, so she was with me while I was working. 
Later in the day, it started to rain and thunder. Not a Sunny favorite. First he jumped on Mattie's bed and then hid in Mattie's walk-in closet. 



No comments: