Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 22, 2021

Thursday, July 22, 2021

Thursday, July 22, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2006. That day Mattie was invited to his friend, Kate's birthday party! The party was held at Build-A-Bear. This was a first for both of us, as we had never gone into the store before. Mattie had a great time, and it did not bother him at all that the majority of kids at the party were girls. They enjoyed the activity of building a teddy bear and sharing in the experience together. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 34,270,335
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 610,114


Today was day 2, in which I did not go to the house. I did not miss it at all. Instead, I caught up on Foundation work, completed an application to try to qualify Mattie Miracle for a non-profit Shark Tank contest, walked Sunny, and the list went on. For 26 years, we have been very lucky, we can walk right out of our complex and we are about two blocks from the National Mall. The Mall really saved us during COVID. As the government did not shut it down, like they did with national parks. Walking became our therapy, and it was needed not only because of lock downs, but because Peter was without a job. Stress levels were high and naturally Sunny never turned down a walk. 

For the past month, I have walked Sunny by our house, rather than in DC. But since I am staying put for three or four days this week, that meant I had to start back up with our DC walking routine. I love people watching, and therefore walking around the National Mall enables me to see historical sites (Lincoln Memorial, the Reflecting Pool, the Washington Monument, etc.) and the multitude of people who visit the Mall on any given day. Actually the Mall is a fascinating place because it is filled with natural beauty, wildlife, and historic monuments. 

In the midst of everything else happening this week, the anniversary of Mattie's diagnosis is tomorrow. It is hard to believe that our lives changed 13 years ago, as it seems like it was just yesterday. I tie Mattie's diagnosis to my birthday (which falls two days later), so given all of this, there is NO WAY I am also going to the house this week to manage the rudeness and disrespect of this painting company. For me it is like the perfect storm, of Mattie's diagnosis anniversary, my birthday, and the whole notion of moving. Moving to me symbolizes another big loss, a severing of my only physical space that was connected to Mattie.  

No comments: