Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 19, 2021

Monday, July 19, 2021

Monday, July 19, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2007. That day, Mattie was at a swimming class. His teacher's name was Margaret. Mattie was very cautious around water, but was making excellent strides in his group class. Parents were NOT allowed by the pool during class. We had to watch from a glass enclosed gallery. Not my favorite view, but nonetheless, I watched every lesson and as you can see tried to take photos. I honestly do not know how Mattie even got in the water, as this indoor pool's water was like a refrigerator year round. But Mattie was a good sport.


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 34,124,341
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 609,204


I honestly feel like I am living a manic life. Even sleeping isn't restful. Last night, around 1:30am, Peter and I awoke to a buzzing sound. At first I had no idea what it was, but then we followed the sound and it was coming out of our alarm box by the front door. When we moved into our townhouse, it had an alarm already set up. For the first few years we actually used the alarm. Then given how safe we felt in our complex, we canceled the service and haven't used this alarm for probably TWO DECADES. So why was the alarm box buzzing? Our fear was if we couldn't stop the buzzing, a full fledged alarm sound was going to go off and wake every one up. So we scrambled around, Peter removed the box and cut the wires. That stopped the sound! It is truly odd that this would happen now, over twenty years after disconnecting the alarm service. All I can think is the alarm line was connected to our land line phone number. Since I had that number transferred to the house in Virginia, perhaps that triggered the buzzing? I have no idea. But there is not rest for us. 

I got up at 6am, so we could leave DC by 7:30am. We met the tile and HVAC folks at 8am. I absolutely love Ed, the person who cleaned our tiles, recolored the grout to the color of my choosing, and then sealed the floors. I have to take photos! If you saw the before and after, you wouldn't believe it. We went from black and dirty grout, to ivory grout that is sealed and won't show dirt again! Even the HVAC person was wonderful. Who wasn't wonderful is the painting company. The people painting are actually doing a good job, minus leaving doors and windows open, but the people managing the project are driving me crazy. The manager has to be in his late 20s and thinks he knows everything. He likes to lecture me about how I am making things difficult for the team. Today I let him have it and also called his boss. Not surprising, the boss has a similar personality as the project manager. I honestly can't wait for painting to be done! As they have taken over our home and there appears to be no end in sight. 

No comments: