Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 16, 2022

Monday, May 16, 2022

Monday, May 16, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2006. I absolutely love this photo. In a way it was a photo within a photo. When Mattie was a toddler, I took a photo of him by this coffee table. Back then the table was up to his waist. Then at age four, Mattie stood by this same table again and held up the photo of him as a toddler. It showed how much he grew in just a couple of years. Mattie got a kick out of this comparison, which was why I decided to capture that moment in time. 





Quote of the day: The worst thing about being tired is the negative twist of perception. Rosamond Rice


My dad went to his memory care center for four hours today. While he was there, I was once again glued to the computer. Trying to process gifts for raffle winners and walkers with the greatest number of steps. Honestly manning the computer on Walk day is a nightmare, as messages are coming into me, photos are flying by, steps counts are coming in, and I am trying to capture everything to post on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I managed but today the digging out began. As prizes and gifts have to be sent out, raffle acknowledgments to donors have to be done, acknowledgments to donors are still underway, and the list continues. 


Here are our top walkers this year...........

Adult Winners 

  • First Place: Chris Dean (23,744 steps)
  • Second Place: Leni Perales (19,795 steps)
  • Third Place: Ann Henshaw (19,606 steps)


Kid/Teen Winners

  • First Place: Alexandra Stuart (15,445 steps)
  • Second Place: Kyle Schutt (14,324 steps)
  • Third Place: Jeremy Young (13,964 steps)


Our raffle winners this year!








  1. Nats: Morgan Kempster
  2. Dining: Kitty Goyette 
  3. Martha's Vineyard: Meghan Roche
  4. Money Tree: Catherine Canterbury
  5. iPad: Cheryl Wood 
  6. Escape to Wine Country: Kristy Jones 
  7. Quilt: Ann Crozat
  8. Legos: Michael Reiter
  9. Caps: Christine Cooper


We have had a couple of bad storms lately and when this happens my boy lands up in the shower. My shower to be exact. When we moved into the house, Peter and I decided to give my parents the master bedroom and bathroom, as my dad requires a lot of space to maneuver around. So in essence Peter and I are in a room meant for a child. Given that I lived in a townhouse in Washington, DC you would think I would be used to smaller spaces. Ironically our bedroom in the District was bigger than our current space. 

Sunny has issues with stairs, but when it thunders, he finds a way to get himself upstairs and into a shower. The issue of course is he can't get down the stairs. Peter literally carries him down the stairs. I think Sunny was traumatized a month or so ago when we went down the stairs together and I fell and landed on top of him at the base of the stairs. 

After Sunday's storm, we had a rainbow. We took this as a Mattie sign, after his Foundation Walk. I know each year before the Walk we would stress out about weather. I would definitely be tuned into the forecast but no matter what it said, I always felt that the sun would come out. It was just a deal that Mattie and I had with each other. Guess what? Mattie never disappointed. We never got rained out once. 
Mattie Moon over our home last night!
Our regal boy in the backyard! He loves behind outside at night because that is when the foxes and deer are wandering about. Sunny loves anything that moves. 
Our roses are beginning to bloom. We, meaning Peter in this case, has been working very hard outside and his efforts are truly showing. 


No comments: