Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 31, 2022

Sunday, July 31, 2022

Sunday, July 31, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken on July 29, 2008. Six days after he was diagnosed. That day, Mattie had a bone biopsy and thankfully was totally knocked out for the procedure. Of course each sedation, had consequences. As you can see Mattie wanted this bandage off of his arm and the bandage adhesives became another problem to manage. Over time, I became an absolute expert at taking off bandages with the use of rubbing alcohol. 


Quote of the day: Alzheimer’s is a disease for which there is no effective treatment whatsoever. To be clear, there is no pharmaceutical agent, no magic pill that a doctor can prescribe that will have any significant effect on the progressive downhill course of this disease. ~ David Perlmutter


If life is not challenging enough, today I am dealing with my dad's Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Not the diarrhea version but the constipation one. My mom hates all the diarrhea, and I am not in love with it, but I will take it over my dad's constipation any day. Constipation with him is like a national crisis. Literally everything in our house stops in order to manage him. He moans, complains, and is solely focused on his bloating, cramping, and asking when is he going to go to the bathroom. The answer is I DON'T KNOW! 

Yes I track my dad's daily bowel movements. I have to, because he can't and in 2020, I took him to the emergency room in Los Angeles because he did not have a bowel movement for a week and he landed up with an impacted colon. In other words, he was hospitalized for a week!

My dad has had IBS for decades, but what is new now is the cycling in of constipation. Of course having moderate stage dementia doesn't help on any level. We regulate what he eats, so I think what is causing the problems are the snacks and lunches he eats at his memory care center. I have asked them to remove all dairy produces and grains. But nonetheless, he is still being affected. 

Truly all of this can make me insane and I realize Peter is on overload with this. We have NO life whatsoever. I am running a nursing home full time, I have lost myself, and my ability to have relationships with anyone at this point. It is grueling, exhausting, and with no end in sight. 

Today I was hopeful that after I got my dad ready, I would be able to take Sunny for a walk. But in usual fashion here, the next crisis developed and I am once again unable to walk Sunny. It is very discouraging. I have administered a laxative suppository for my dad but now three hours later, it has no effect. So we wait. We were going to go out for dinner, but clearly this isn't possible given the situation. 

I just sent Peter to the grocery store and will cook dinner. Another chore in the long line of chores. 

I snapped this photo at noon. I honestly don't understand why they insist on getting up so early, if after breakfast, they both sleep. Unfortunately once I am up, there is no sleeping for me, as I have tons to do and to get done. 


No comments: