Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

August 4, 2022

Thursday, August 4, 2022

Thursday, August 4, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2005. We took Mattie to the Outer Banks for a week and along our journey we went to the Elizabethan Gardens with him. Peter's parents were with us and snapped this photo. I really don't have many photos of all three of us together! What I chuckle about however when looking at this was the stroller. I can't tell you how many different kinds of strollers we had for Mattie. Turned out that he really hated all of them. 


Quote of the day: There is a moral task of caregiving, and that involves just being there, being with that person and being committed. When there is nothing that can be done, we have to be able to say, ‘look, I’m with you in this experience. Right through to the end of it. ~ Dr. Arthur Kleinman


I was listening to the radio this morning and the broadcaster played a familiar theme song to me.... "like sands through the hour glass, so are the days of our lives." I stopped in my tracks and listened carefully. I have been a Days of Our Lives fan since I was probably old enough to watch TV and remember it. Let's say, five years of age. My grandmother would watch it while ironing each day, and since I stayed close to her as a child I became hooked on the lives of the Hortons, Bradys, DeMiras, etc! Even as a child I was intrigued by people and their stories, so most likely I was the perfect target to become addicted to soap operas. I never watched any other Soaps, I have been a loyal Days fan! When I lived in California as a teenager, I even ran into the cast at several restaurants. Needless to say back then, I was awe struck. 

Now as an adult, I turn to Day's of Our Lives for different reasons. When Mattie was alive.... healthy and battling cancer, I never tuned in. So I left my soap opera addiction behind for almost a decade. However, after Mattie died, I tuned right back in. In all honesty after Mattie died, getting out of bed was challenging enough and the only thing that kept me focused and not ready to jump out the window was Hallmark movies and Days of Our Lives. The beauty of Days is you can pick up right where you left off and catch up quickly. 

For decades these people have been a part of my daily life. So when I heard on the radio today that Days of Our Lives will NOT be aired on NBC starting in September, I LOST IT! I immediately text messaged Peter, who was on another floor. I told him Days will move from NBC to Peacock, and be streamed that way. Needless to say I wanted Peter to figure out how I can access Peacock. 

Why is any of this important? Well in the grand scheme of things, it isn't! However, I typically turn to Days of Our Lives during difficult parts of my life. Now being one of them. Each night, after my parent's go to sleep, I get ready for bed, and then sit there and watch Days. It is my time, in which I don't need to meet anyone else's demands and instead escape to the Town of Salem (a fictitious place where Days occurs). The beauty of a soap opera is there is no reality. miracles can happen, nothing is real, I don't hear about politics (for the most part) and other depressing aspects of our day to day existence. 

While I was running around doing chores this morning, this was what was going on with my parents. 

I entitle this photo... friends! The beauty of Sunny and Indie. 

Sunny Update..... he stills has a UTI. He has had it for months now. He has been on two different antibiotics, as he had two different infections. Now one infection has cleared up, but the other is still present. Sunny remains on antibiotics for another two weeks. The problem with all of this is while trying to heal the UTIs, he hasn't been on chemo. Needless to say this concerns Peter and me. 


No comments: