Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 26, 2022

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Tuesday, July 26, 2022 -- Mattie died 669 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. It was my birthday and that day, Mattie constructed this beautiful lighthouse card for me with Peter's parents. Mattie knew how much I loved lighthouses, and I tried to share that love with him. Together we visited many and explored their history. This birthday card lighthouse was a replica for Bodie Lighthouse in North Carolina. One of the first lighthouses we ever visited. 





Quote of the day: You can’t calm the storm, so stop trying. What you can do is calm yourself. The storm will pass. ~ Timber Hawkeye


I started my day with a conference call. I have to admit that I was stressed out about this because my morning always feels like.... to beat the clock! I have to get myself together, make breakfast, get my dad up, showered, dressed, and downstairs for breakfast. Then of course we have to do brain games and his exercise routine. If I don't do it, it won't get done. I had to do all of this before 10am, when I had to then hop on a call and look and sound like a "normal" human being! I have been asked to be a part of a webinar hosted by the National Institutes of Health in October. I am the only advocate on the panel and today's call was to meet the other panelists and find common ground for us to discuss. It was a wonderful phone call and pulled me out of funk. That was short lived however!

After the call, my mom needed to get to Washington, DC for a hair appointment and my dad had to be at the hospital for an occupational therapy session. Thankfully Peter dropped my mom off and I went with my dad. His therapist is excellent but has had to learn the hard way that my reporting on my dad's conditions and abilities, though harsh, are spot on! Today she wanted him to work on learning how to roll to his side, so he could get out of a bed more easily. I told her "this boy doesn't roll, and hasn't for decades." She did not believe me. She worked so hard on getting him to roll, that she landed up emptying her pockets, taking off her photo id, and so forth. At the end of the day, she couldn't get him to roll! Gold star for Vicki! If she couldn't do it, rest assured, I am not attempting it. 

In addition, the therapist wanted me to remove pillows behind my dad's head and under his knees when he sleeps at night. She feels that his years of using pillows has contributed to his hunched over posture. Maybe true, but I feel like our time to correct this stooped posture has come and gone. After trying to remove pillows from his head today, she quickly understood my dilemma. As my dad was practically screaming in pain every step of the way during the session. She asked if this was what he does to me at home, and of course I said YES! Moving my dad is like trying to pull taffy! It is strenuous and difficult!

Don't you know the therapist wants me to purchase a different walker for my dad to use. I am now onto walker #6! After this purchase, I am DONE, as my walker collection for him is ridiculous! After this session, I got my dad in the car and we drove to Washington, DC to pick up my mom. The salon is very aware of how fragile she is and they know not to let her out of the salon unless I call telling them that I am outside. While driving through town to pick her up, I drove passed where our townhouse once was, and I am continually saddened to see the encampments surrounding this beautiful space. 

I then drove home to do a few things before taking my parents out to dinner. I received a birthday gift in the mail today. Have you ever heard of Send a Cake? I hadn't and what an experience. There really should be a note with steps on how to open this surprised explosive box. Peter was next to me when I opened the box. I could tell there was a piece of cake in the box, but never expected butterflies. When I opened the lid, things started flying out at us. It scared us and I felt bats were flying out at me. 

Here is a video of a young girl opening such a box! Though she did it much more gracefully than me. In her version the butterflies gently fly out. When I did it they jumped out at me. 


No comments: