Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 13, 2022

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Tuesday, September 13, 2022 -- Mattie died 676 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. Mattie was home between treatments and as you can see we already needed IV hydration back then. It was early on in Mattie's treatment but chemo impacted his ability to eat and drink. Therefore, I would say that Mattie lived on IV hydration for a year. I remember back then how challenging it seemed to maneuver an IV pole. That was the least of our problems, and it is funny how one puts things into context quickly. Mattie loved Patches our cat, and when he was dying he wanted Patches in the hospital. This request wasn't honored. I understand why, but these two never got a chance to say good-bye to each other. Patches was devoted to Mattie and she understood quickly the day Mattie was born that he took priority and she had to behave around him. We did not train her, she was just a smart cat!


Quote of the day: Grief does not change you. It reveals you. ~ John Green


Last evening we had a torrential rain storm, after which the sun came out. I told Peter... let's look for rainbows! We opened our front door, and we saw a double rainbow. I have never seen such a vibrant and vivid rainbow. The colors were practically jumping out at us. 
This is Miss Indie! She is a very curious cat and where ever we go, she wants to follow. She wanted to know why we had the door open and came to examine all the activity. 
Look at these vivid colors!






















It was another busy day. I got up at 6am, in order to get my parents out the door by 9:20am. My dad had a doctor's appointment this morning. I can't tell you how stressful morning appointments are as I feel like I am herding cats. By the time I get into the car, I feel like I have gone ten rounds. 

My dad met with his physical rehab doctor. This is the doctor who cared for him back in March, post pacemaker placement. Back then my dad spent a second week in the hospital in acute rehab trying to regain strength. My dad has NO MEMORY of spending two weeks in the hospital. I mean NOTHING! He doesn't even remember this doctor we visited today. This is the same doctor that has prescribed my dad PT, OT and speech therapy in the outpatient clinic. I feel this is an important contact for my dad and us, just in case he lands up in the hospital again. The doctor felt that my dad looked like a night and day difference from March. Mainly because I am feeding my dad well and keeping him as active as possible. The doctor basically said that I am doing a good job and the pulmonologist who saw my mom about a week ago, said the same thing to me. All I know is I am working around the clock to keep them stable. 

After the doctor appointment, I got my parents in the car and we filled the car up with gas and went to the post office. I then returned them back to the hospital, as my dad had a physical therapy appointment. Before the appointment we sat in the hospital atrium for about thirty minutes and my mom and I had hot tea, we listened to the piano music, and even saw a beautiful quilt display on 9/11. It was actually very moving. 

I came across this short video of two doctors who basically started out their career that day at Virginia Hospital Center's ER. Apparently these two physicians are still at the hospital and I can only imagine how the day transformed them. The president of the hospital discussed how the team of doctors and nurses that day were expecting mass casualties and were lining up outside the hospital. But unfortunately the reality sunk in, that most of the people at the Pentagon were consumed by the horrific plane crash and the fire that ensued. 





The hospital's atrium features this beautiful handmade quilt and countless plaques and awards given to the hospital for their outstanding care provided on 9/11. This is the closest hospital geographically to the Pentagon.
A photograph captured on 9/11/01 showing the healthcare teams waiting outside the ER for victims of the Pentagon attack. 


No comments: