Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 5, 2023

Monday, June 5, 2023

Monday, June 5, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2004. Mattie was two years old and that week we took Mattie to Massachusetts to visit with Peter's parents. One of the highlights of the trip was going to Horn Pond. At the Pond were geese, ducks, and swans. Needless to say, we never went there without a bag of bread! Mattie absolutely loved feeding the birds and we loved watching him interact with nature.

Quote of the day: When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life or the life of another. ~ Helen Keller


Guess what kind of flower this is? It is quite beautiful and a stunning color!!!

It is the blossom of an eggplant! I assume after the blossom, we will see the start of a baby eggplant emerge. It is our first time growing this vegetable, so the verdict is out!







It was a full morning of chores for me. Literally I did three hours of chores and though I wanted to get to Foundation work, it never happened, because I knew my mom wanted to go out to the post office, CVS, and then get tea. A few months ago, I would have felt guilty for not finding time for Foundation work. Now, I have learned to let go of those feelings, because I am only ONE person and I do the best that I can each day. 

On days when my dad is at his memory care center, I sometimes take my mom to our local Starbucks for tea and a snack. I never found a Starbucks in the city that I liked, but our local one is lovely. I have gotten to know everyone working behind the counter. When I come in..... they automatically know what I plan on ordering. Sometimes they even bring our order over to the table for me, as they see all that I am balancing. I appreciate that kindness and sensitivity.

When we arrived at Starbucks, there were no chairs and tables available for us. I noticed one woman was sitting with her computer and taking up two tables. So I went over to her and asked if I could move one table and two chairs so my mom and I could sit. She agreed, but I could tell she wasn't happy about it. Hang on.... there is more!

With our teas today came quotes on the cups! This was a new addition, as this wasn't happening last week. I read these quotes out loud, so my mom could hear them. But I suspect the lady next to us who had occupied two tables also heard what I was reading

The quotes says... If speaking kindly to plants makes them grow, imagine what speaking kindly to humans can do. 

Literally minutes later, the young lady next to us, stood up, looked at us, and then apologized! She wanted us to know that she was zoned out and doing her own work, that she truly did not process the request I made to her for a table and chairs. I thought that was so kind of her to say something, that I responded back very positively. YES indeed, one kind act, leads to many more kind acts. It is a ripple effect and can change one's outlook that day. 

The quote above was on my mom's cup. This one was on mine.....

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world. ~ Shakespeare


While sitting my mom and I discussed multiple things. One of which of course is our current situation and the impact on me and Peter. The problem with this impact is the incredible stress and layer of sadness (and I assure you there is sadness when seeing a loved one transformed by Alzheimer's disease) is NOT new to us. This is coming on top of Mattie being diagnosed with cancer and then dying. I would say that my marriage has had to endure a great deal of sadness that not every couple has to contend with and face. The problem of course with intense caregiving and in both of my situations, with Mattie and my parents, is the eventual outcome is DEATH. It isn't like I am investing and enduring this intensity with the hope of improvement and a better quality of life. This is a bitter reality and one that does not go unnoticed in my mind and spirit. 

No comments: