A Remembrance Video of Mattie

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to me that you take the time to write and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful and help support me through very challenging times. I am forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically have stopped writing on September 9, 2010. However, like my journey with grief there is so much that still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with me, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki



September 12, 2026

Saturday, September 12, 2026

Saturday, September 12, 2026

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2002. Mattie was five months old. I was gifted this "tummy time" playset. This was a position Mattie absolutely HATED! In theory tummy time is important to help develop neck and upper body muscles. Despite that, I could only put Mattie in this position for about five minutes at a time, as he would get very upset. I believe Mattie disliked this position because it prevented him from moving about and it limited his freedom!


Quote of the day: Have you ever lost someone you love and wanted one more conversation, one more chance to make up for the time when you thought they would be here forever? If so, then you know you can go your whole life collecting days, and none will outweigh the one you wish you had back. ~ Mitch Albom


It was another hard morning, of multiple irritable bowel issues, starting in the shower. By the time I got my dad showered, dressed, and downstairs, I literally had already put in a full day! My dad's physical therapist came over today and she got him to do a walking routine outside. My dad really did not want to go outside, but we encouraged him to get fresh air. Soon it will be too cool for him to do this, so I strongly believe you have to capture these outdoor moments when you can. 

As it is September, I realized this weekend that I had to start crafting the Foundation newsletter. I used to do a newsletter 12 months a year. Then a few years ago, I took August off. Since my separation, I now do not write in July or August. So ramping back up in September is hard, as all the visuals and content come from me. At some point today, the notion of living life without my other half flooded my mind and then it clouded my energy to write a newsletter. After all, we started this Foundation together, and it truly helped to have someone to bounce ideas off of and to brainstorm content and goals. I always felt we were better together. 

Naturally, I had to get a reality check and stop this irrational thinking, otherwise I wouldn't be able to focus and do my best work for Mattie Miracle. So after the physical therapist left today, my parents rested for 90 minutes, and I had uninterrupted time to start figuring out what I wanted to highlight in the upcoming newsletter. As of this evening, the newsletter is well underway and will continue working on it tomorrow.

This afternoon, I took my parents to our local diner. Something we do every Saturday. Since I am typically cooking and cleaning, I appreciate going out a few times a week to break up the work and to have conversations with outsiders. The diner was an absolute zoo today. They had a celebration of life event in one of their rooms and the noise level in the whole restaurant was out of control. You know the kind of intense noise that starts drilling through your head? So between the noise and the whole kitchen staff working on overload, it was a horrible dining experience. Some food came out cold, and some things we ordered never came out at all! I did land up paying the bill, but then I snapped. I called over our server (who we work with every Saturday) and I explained to him that this whole meal should be comped because we are regulars and today's experience was intolerable. Needless to say, the bill was comped. But comped bill or not, my mom came home feeling nauseous and I still feel hungry. 

As I am still watching and processing the 25th anniversary of 9/11. I saw this video clip last night on TV. I never heard this song before, but it resonated with me. Anyone who has been traumatized and isn't sure how to make it through another day, this song illustrates to us.... there is always hope. 

No comments: