Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 23, 2011

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken on November 21 of 2008. Mattie was in the hospital recovering from his second major limb salvaging surgery. As you can see he was unable to use both of his arms. One was recovering from surgery in October, and Mattie's left arm was just operated on along with his right leg a week before this picture was taken. However, what I love about this picture was it showed Mattie's determination and spirit. Even with three limbs wrapped up and being in pain, that did not stop him from doing activities. He wanted to play a game on the computer, and used "George" to help him. George was the name Mattie's surgeon (Dr. Bob) gave to his left leg. It was a good name because in essence that leg was like Curious George, the storybook character. Mattie became so good at manipulating that leg, that it performed almost like an arm and hand. In fact, Mattie was home for Thanksgiving of 2008, however, it is a day Peter and I will never forget. Mattie was so depressed, in a great deal of pain, and we felt absolutely helpless over the whole situation. These memories are very vivid for me which is most likely why Thanksgiving is not a very happy occasion for us.


Quote of the day: Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds. ~Theodore Roosevelt


As Thanksgiving is approaching, I decided to post a quote about this special occasion from Theodore Roosevelt. What I like about this quote is that for me it is a motto that I try to live my life by. Lip service is nice but it is shallow. The true test of courage, friendship, and character are in one's deeds. This shouldn't be applicable only during Thanksgiving, but a philosophy that grounds each day of our lives.

I spent a majority of the day at home. I have been reading several psychological journal articles about the impact and long-term effects of cancer on children and their families. I actually found it interesting, but not surprising to learn that children who have INTENSE cancer treatments are at greater risks for challenges and issues. I saw this psychological devastation in Mattie, but it is nice to know that the research confirms our experience and my feelings.

Later in the day, I went to visit my friend Tina. Tina is in the midst of getting her house ready for Thanksgiving and I got to see her plans for tomorrow. We both appreciate food, flowers, and decorating, so it was fun to see her work in progress. As I left, Tina and her daughters surprised me with cookies, pumpkin ice cream, and mini pecan pie tarts. They wanted to make sure I had sweets on Thanksgiving. Very, very sweet and touching.

I went to visit Ann's mom tonight and helped her with dinner. Mary was happy to see me, and we chatted for a bit. As I put on my coat to leave, Mary asked me how she can ever thank me. She knows that when her daughter goes out of town, I step up to the process to make sure she isn't alone and is taken care of. I told her that this is what good friends do, and that thank you's were not necessary.

On the eve of this Thanksgiving, Peter and I want to wish all of our readers and supporters a very Happy Thanksgiving. We are thankful for you!

No comments: