Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 12, 2012

Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday, March 12, 2012

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2002. Mattie was six months old and doing what he LOVED best. Mattie wanted to walk desperately and we spent many an hour doing exactly what you see in this picture. That particular day my college advisor had sent me this cute hooded sweatshirt. Peter took a picture of Mattie in it, so we could send it to my biology studies advisor.


Quote of the day: To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


Today was the kind of day in which I barely moved from my computer. I think my laptop has become my fifth appendage. As the Symposium is about a week away, there are all sorts of things I am doing this week to get ready for the event. However, what I wasn't expecting was that today I had to shut down registration for the event. Our congressional co-sponsors secured us a room in the Capitol Hill Visitor Center for our Symposium on March 20. The room capacity is 80 people. All of us thought that would certainly be enough room given the nature of the event. However, today we received over 10 registrations out of the blue and this brought us up to 72 attendees! Keep in mind that I have to allot space for 10 or more staffers to attend the event as well. So with this influx of registrations today (which didn't look like they were going to stop!), I was desperate to shut off the system and contacted Peter at work for help! After all, I can't have people registering to attend an event, if they can't fit into the room! So I am proud to say, we are having quite a turn out for this event and our attendees are coming from 12 different states, some as far away as California!

When Peter got home, he could see I was wound up tighter than a top. So he separated me away from my fifth appendage and we went for a walk on Roosevelt Island. I was still spinning for the first portion of the walk, but then began to calm down. Along the path, we met a family with two young boys. The boys eagerly wanted to tell me about their findings. They pointed the way to pile of snakes that they felt needed to be seen! They reminded me of Mattie with their interest in these slithering creatures. I refused to go off the path to find these creatures, but Peter took the camera and reported back. He actually took several pictures of about 5 snakes, all looking at him and slithering close to him. Yuck of grand proportion! I thought he captured this one very well, tongue and all!


Despite the content in the above picture, I took peace in seeing that spring has sprung at Roosevelt Island!
I leave you tonight with this glorious field of yellow flowers budding on Roosevelt Island. It was in the 70s today, and it felt like spring and a time to pause and appreciate the renewal of the season upon us.

No comments: