Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 9, 2012

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sunday, September 9, 2012


Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2008 at Mattie's end of year kindergarten party. I fortunately attended this party and I was able to see Mattie having a great time with his friends. This threesome was very special to me: Charlotte, Mattie, and Campbell. As Charlotte told me, this threesome was going to go to college together and even be roommates.


Quote of the day: He that conceals his grief finds no remedy for it. ~ Turkish Proverb


The day after Mattie's third anniversary of course brings out all sorts of emotions. Our emotions aren't as volatile or explosive as perhaps they once were, now they tend to be more inward. In many ways these inward emotions are hard to live with, because they wear you down and are quite depressing. So I would say for the most part our day was clouded with sadness and depression.

Peter and I reflected on how we acknowledged Mattie's anniversary for the past three years. The first year, we had a tree gathering ceremony at Mattie's school in which Mattie's friends and our friends were in attendance. We all placed origami cranes on Mattie's tree and then I treated those in attendance to the kind of cupcakes Mattie loved, all of which had brightly colored frosting. That was a nice gathering, but a hard one for multiple reasons. One reason I won't do this again is because it was very hard for me to see the children and their parents come and go to this event. For some in attendance, this event was another activity on their calendar, and for us, it was much more than that. It was very evident to me that given schedules, right after the tree gathering, families were running off to the next activity. Naturally this is part of life, and I get that, but I don't have to get it on Mattie's anniversary of his death. It took me a long time to come to peace with that because I felt like I was the one being difficult. Upon reflection, I realize I am not being difficult or not understanding and caring of others, on the contrary, I spent a great deal of time doing just that while Mattie was ill, and now on difficult days for us, I have to think of what is in our best interest. Because at the end of the day if a public forum is only going to further upset and depress me, I don't need to add gasoline to an already well lit fire!

For Mattie's second anniversary, we went out to lunch with friends. This was a less public forum, which was better, but as time moves on, Peter and I feel as if the only ones who truly need to reflect on this day is us. We do not want to pressure others to feel obligated to go through this journey with us, which is why we do not schedule anything on September 8th. Honestly though I do not know what the answer is because spending the day alone does compound the isolation, and we reflected upon this today. Actually a lot of hurt has resulted from Mattie's death, Mattie's battle, and our hopes for how others in our lives would continue to be there for us. Loss is quite pervasive in our lives. Cancer has changed us and our relationships with others, and therefore the ramifications of cancer may appear to be over for us, but they truly aren't, the ramifications are now more subtle. Cancer influences how I see everything, how I experience everyone, and my expectations for how things should be.

 
Yesterday my friend Tina sent me this picture on my Blackberry. When I first saw the picture, I have to admit I was disoriented. I wasn't sure where this beautiful monarch was sitting. It turns out that this butterfly flew right into Tina's lap and sat there for 20 minutes. It is so unusual for a butterfly to do this, and I took this as a sign!
 
Since this butterfly decided to visit with Tina for a while, Tina had the opportunity to talk with others around her about the significance of this creature. As I told Tina yesterday, to me this was a sign from Mattie and she was our messenger. I did not see one butterfly yesterday, yet I do not believe in coincidence, therefore, from my perspective this butterfly was meant to land on my friend. I am so happy she shared it with me and captured it through a photo.

 

No comments: