Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 4, 2013

Friday, January 4, 2013

Friday, January 4, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2008. Our blog system is currently experiencing uploading issues, so I could only post a picture that was recently uploaded to the blog. This photo was taken days after Mattie's major limb salvaging surgeries. It was almost incredible to me that he could smile given his circumstances. He couldn't move, had surgery drains in his arm and leg, and he was in a lot of pain. Yet to me this photo captures Mattie's resilience.

Quote of the day: It is our choices..... that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. ~ JK Rowling


It was a bright and sunny day today in Washington, DC which greatly helped with the transition back home. I couldn't get up this morning and I was still on Los Angeles time. Yet I accomplished a great deal of Foundation work that was piling up on my table.

This evening Peter and I went out to dinner at our usual Friday hang out. At the restaurant, everyone greeted me and said they missed me, but more importantly they told me that Peter was lost without me. So it was a lovely greeting back, one I must admit I wasn't expecting.

The one I do worry about is Patches. She is almost 17 years old and she isn't looking right and not eating well. Considering she is a cat with a hyper thyroid issue who is always eating, I know something is up when she doesn't touch her food. People get attached to their pets, but Patches symbolizes our married life together. She basically walked into our lives and came right onto our deck and adopted us. She was one year old when she found us and was very sick, not to mention that she was shot and had a BB bullet in her leg. Patches also was a trooper through the birth of Mattie and through his cat tail pulling year! Patches was a buddy to Mattie, as she is a buddy to Peter. I am just the help, but we have our own understanding. Soon after Mattie died our vet told us that Patches was ill and probably only had a few more years left. So far we have kept her going for three years, but when I see her like this, I worry. She is still alert, responsive, and active for an old cat, but I continue to keep on eye on her. I do not like to think of Patches dying, because she is a significant part of our family then and even more so NOW!

 

No comments: