Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 4, 2013

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thursday, January 3, 2013


Tonight's picture was taken on Christmas Day of 2008. This was a VERY challenging day for us, couped up at home. Mattie was dealing with a great deal of pain and what I later diagnosed, medical traumatic stress. Mattie's preschool friends dropped off these hats and noses for Mattie. Peter encouraged Mattie to put them on and Peter tried very hard to change the mood in our home. I snapped a picture of their momentary fun and I would say this was the brightest moment of our Christmas day.




Quote of the day: In the middle of this journey, we lose a bit of ourselves. We do not know where we are or where we’re headed. We look for directions, seek for guidance, and if we’re lucky, we find it without too much time lost. And if we’re truly lucky, we gain our whole selves back, with an ounce of wisdom on top. ~ Joanne Crisner


It was a LONG but safe travel day today. It is now 12:30am East Coast time, and I am wide awake working on all sorts of things. I had two chatterboxes sitting next to me on the airplane. Both of whom wanted the window shade closed throughout the flight. It is psychological, but I need to see outside and see land while I am flying. So the fact that they were non-stop talking and also closed the shade bothered me to no end. The two sitting next to me were a father-daughter pair. The daughter just turned 21 and they were flying to Dublin, via Washington Dulles. The father was a pilot for another airline and was regaling the flight attendants with his flight stories. NONE of which I wanted to hear. Remember I don't like flying! But the story that was truly troubling was that he was bringing his daughter to Ireland so she could celebrate her 21st birthday in style and get DRUNK! It was at that point he absolutely lost me!

Peter greeted me at the airport and I could tell he was thrilled to have company back into his life. I have a way of keeping him hopping and on his toes. I am told that is contagious and when I am not present I can be missed apparently! We waited for an hour for my luggage and when it was all said and done we did not get back home until after 10:30pm. Despite it being almost 30 degrees colder here in DC compared to Los Angeles, Peter surprised me with roses. These roses have a beautiful fragrance, so in a way it felt like spring time inside.
 

No comments: