Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 28, 2013

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken on April 4, 2002, the day Mattie was born. Mattie was born at 12:53 am, and as Peter says, I was OUT OF IT. I had a hard labor and delivery, almost 48 hours long, with an 102 fever, and my first migraine. In addition, during an emergency C-section, a grapefruit size tumor was found on my bladder. So as Mattie made his way to the nursery, I underwent surgery. Peter stayed with Mattie the whole time and took this beautiful picture of Mattie greeting the world in the nursery. Mattie was born VERY alert. Mattie LOVED hearing me tell his birth story to him, and on April 4th, I will share this story once again with my readers. The last time I retold this story to Mattie was on August 5, 2009, the day we found out his cancer case was terminal. Mattie and I were sitting in the hospital garden, and out of the blue, he wanted to sit in my lap and hear his birth story once again! I remember that moment in time like it were yesterday. He knew something was gravely wrong before all of us. Hearing the story that day made us briefly forget the horror that was before us.


Quote of the day: If a mother is mourning not for what she has lost but for what her dead child has lost, it is a comfort to believe that the child has not lost the end for which it was created. And it is a comfort to believe that she herself, in losing her chief or only natural happiness, has not lost a greater thing. The specifically maternal happiness must be written off. Never, in any place or time, will she have her son on her knees, or bathe him, or tell him a story, or plan for his future, or see her grandchild. ~  C.S. Lewis


Today Peter and I drove to Delaware. It took us about two hours. I know I was sitting next to Peter, but I was mentally out of it. We had the radio on the whole time, and listened to various broadcasts. I had trouble even concentrating on what the person was talking about on the radio. Which registers how tired I am. As we were crossing the Bay Bridge, I got out my camera to start taking pictures. 

While on the bridge, I snapped a picture of these tankers on Chesapeake Bay. It was a cold day in the 40's and rather grey. Yet despite the weather, the sea birds are a wonderful sight to see. 















Maybe because I live in the city, but I am fascinated with farms and farming trucks, like this Fertilizer. This big green thing was driving right next to us, and all I could imagine was if Mattie was with us he would be screaming with excitement in the back seat. I had absolutely NO interest in trucks, cars, trains, or planes before Mattie came into my life. But Mattie gravitated to anything with wheels and therefore I too got an education about the different trucks and forms of locomotion. Mattie may no longer be with me physically, but his excitement over seeing such vehicles lives on in me. 


Peter passed this farm rather quickly, but I tried snapping a photo of it anyway. Those of you who know me well, know I LOVE cows. Particularly Holstein cows. Their black and white patterns just capture my attention. Peter is always perplexed with my love of cows, and today as we were passing fields, farms, and cows, all I could smell was manure! So now I get why Peter was perplexed! 

On the car trip to the beach, there seems to be miles and miles of farms. As far as the eye can see. When we got to our friend Ellen's house, the ocean looked very grey. As the sky changed throughout the afternoon, the color of the water was also transforming. Though it was too cold in my book to walk along the water, I could see it, and that alone is a special sighting!


No comments: