Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 27, 2013

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken on Easter of 2006. We took Mattie out to his favorite restaurant for Easter Brunch. What we weren't expecting was a visit from the Easter Bunny. When this large bunny first approached our table, Mattie was scared. However he was braver than I was at his age, because I would have dove right under the table to hide. Mattie did pose with the bunny and this has to be one of my favorite Easter pictures of Mattie. I think what I love about it is that it just happened. None of us planned it, and yet this photo captures a very special moment in time!


Quote of the day: There is something about the presence of a cat...that seems to take the bite out of being alone. ~ Louis Camuti


Tonight's quote resonates with me. Patches, in her own furry way managed to fill up our home. Her presence made us feel connected to something and she was an important part of our family unit. When I go up and down the stairs now, I find I am still looking for her. When I am putting laundry away, I am expecting a meowing commentary, and most definitely when my feet touch the floor in the morning, I am expecting her to shuttle me downstairs for a treat. Of course none of this is happening anymore! All week, while making the bed, I find I am singing (it is a spontaneous song, I am not thinking about it).... I've grown accustomed to her face! That may not mean much to my readers, unless you are a "My Fair Lady" affectionado, like myself. I have gotten so used to Patches routines, that not having her around, causes a cascade of emotions, feelings, and thoughts. She is missed, and not having my day time buddy, co-worker, and companion around makes for a very lonely existence.

I did all sorts of chores today to get ready to leave tomorrow for Delaware. Before I returned home, I went to visit my friend Mary, who lives in an assisted living facility. Earlier in the week, I brought Mary a miniature pink rose for Easter and a few weeks ago, I planted an amaryllis bulb in a flower pot in her room. We are watching these living things grow together, which in my opinion such greenery is crucial to have around you when living in an institution.

Mary was completely mute today, but she is able to blink. So when I ask her questions now I have her blink once for yes and two for no. It seems to be working. Mary loves to hold tissues in her right hand, but today she dropped the tissues and extended her hand. So literally I grabbed her hand and held it for quite some time until her dinner arrived. I think a lot can be conveyed through one's eyes and the touch of one's hand. While holding Mary's hand, I began to massage her hand. What surprised me is that Mary's index finger was rubbing my hand back in the process. It was very touching.


Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2006. You can see Patches on our staircase but also featured was Mattie, along with the play scheme he devised. Mattie decided to put the cat's toy on the staircase and try to coax her to play with it and him. I am not sure how successful this venture turned out to be but it occupied Mattie's attention and he was definitely determined. I will never forget Patches loyalty and good nature toward Mattie! 

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful smile! I'm sure Patches is playing right alongside Mattie again!