Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 26, 2013

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 -- Mattie died 185 weeks ago today.


Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2006. I took Mattie to the Reston Zoo that day and as you can see the Zoo was ready for Easter. Mattie loved the thrill of hunting for eggs, however, as my faithful readers know, Mattie disliked candy and most sweets. On this particular issue, the apple fell VERY far from the tree. The funny part about Mattie was he would collect candy and give it all to me. Most parents give candy to their children, in my case it was the exact opposite!!! Sometimes I just had to laugh over Mattie's choices and preferences.



Quote of the day: Cats are dangerous companions for writers because cat watching is a near-perfect method of writing avoidance. ~ Dan Greenburg

I began my day back at Virginia Hospital Center. I feel like I might as well set up a tent at a hospital! This morning I went to see my internist because I couldn't take the headache pain ANY longer. I could have seen my neurologist, but I have to be in the mood for his attitude. Which is why my nickname for him is "Mr. Personality." I had a horrible night of sleep, and between that and intense pain, I told my doctor I was ready to put a screw threw my head just to get rid of the pressure.

Based on the seasonal time of year, we both arrived at the conclusion that my daily headaches could be worse because of a sinus infection. Thank goodness there is an explanation for this. So I am hoping that antibiotics help my head pain. After my doctor's visit and trip to the pharmacy, my goal was to run a few more chores and then try to have a relatively stress free day. FUNNY! That did not happen.

I went to Virginia today to pick up our Foundation mail. When I returned to my car in an outdoor parking lot, I found a couple looking, pointing, and staring at my car. When I got closer, they asked if that was my car. When I said it was, they had me come to the front passenger side. What I saw was horrible..... it was like Niagara Falls coming out of my car, and the fluid was pink to a light red color. It literally looked like the car was bleeding. When I saw this, I was NOT happy. Especially since we just had the car serviced last week!

Upon reflection I had two blessings happen to me today. The first was that this couple saw this flood and told me about it. Because I later learned that an O ring exploded and all my coolant burst out of the car. If I had driven the car, I could have done great damage to the engine. So while I wasn't in the mood to deal with this, they could have potentially saved my life. Because if I drove on the highway, the car dealer told Peter, the car wouldn't have made it far!

Because I am tired and not feeling well, my brain wasn't functioning today. Literally I couldn't even think through what to do with this pink pooling car. So I called Peter and we came up with a plan. So thankfully AAA came to my car's rescue, and my second blessing is my friend Tina came to mine.

Tina sat with me while I waited for AAA and then after this was all over, she drove me back home to DC. Mind you she is getting ready to take her children on spring break tomorrow, yet found time to help me. This means a lot to me, especially when I am not feeling well. Tina always makes me feel connected to something and always includes me in her plans. In fact, she is the first mom friend I made after Mattie's death. We are not bound by ties between our children, but instead through our own mutual interests, preferences, and care.

This afternoon, I wanted to do laundry, so that when I get home from our time away I won't have additional things to clean. While I was in our complex's laundry room, I met one of my neighbors who lives above me. She wanted me to know how much she LOVES our garden and can't wait to see what we put together this spring. She truly feels our garden makes a difference in her life and in those around us. I love my secret garden and I am happy my neighbors above us appreciate it too. Somehow her comment just made me smile, feel appreciated, and special. It is nice to know that what Peter and I do in our garden brings joy to others.  


I end tonight's posting with this photo of Patches taken in May of 2006. Mattie wasn't the only one who loved outdoor time and the frog sandbox. As spring approaches, I will miss my two buddies coming outside with me into our garden!









 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a better day today and that the MRI gives some answers regarding your pain. Sending hugs your way.