Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 19, 2013

Friday, July 19, 2013

Friday, July 19, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken on August 6th of 2009 (the day after we learned Mattie's cancer was terminal). To me this photo puts SO many things into context. Mainly because about a month later, Mattie died. It is hard for me to even wrap my head around the fact that Mattie was in such tremendous pain here and yet look..... HE WAS SMILING!!!! Naturally I am biased but Mattie's smile had a way of making you feel  happy. Cancer did not change this simple fact about him and sometimes when I pause and think about what this six year old went through, I have to say he was one of the bravest and most courageous people I have known.  


Quote of the day: We’d met at a carefree time, a moment full of promise, in its place now were the harsh lessons of the real world. ~ Nicholas Sparks


As my faithful readers know, I am a big Nicholas Sparks fan. I have read all of his books and it is thanks to his books that I wanted to go to Emerald Isle, NC this spring. When I read Sparks' quote tonight, my immediate reaction was this describes PETER AND ME! Peter and I met in college, so in my opinion, that in and of itself describes a carefree time in one's developmental history. But Mattie's cancer diagnosis and death have certainly replaced the promise we once had with the harsh reality of life. It is the simple truth.

The highlight of my day today was seeing my friend Nancy. Nancy lives in New York and was here in DC for a conference. The conference that brought Nancy to town was the same conference in which we met many years ago. Nancy and I are colleagues first but quickly became friends. Now several years later, though I am no longer emotionally connected to this particular association, Nancy and I remain friends and confidantes.

We covered a lot of territory over lunch and one of the birthday gifts Nancy gave me was a verbal gift. She wanted me to know that she feels people are drawn to me, that I make people feel important and cared about, and this is most likely why I was considered a leader in the counseling field. Nancy's words are a gift that will always remain with me.

This evening Peter and I went out to dinner. While seated, I had the unfortunate pleasure of watching a couple with their only child eating dinner. The fact that it was a family that looked like ours at one time wasn't what set me off. What set me off was the level of absolute self absorption and dysfunction. This couple had a healthy and active child in their presence and yet do you want to know what was happening at the table?!!! Absolutely nothing. No one said two words to each other throughout the meal. Each parent was glued to his/her own smart phone. I was disgusted. Meanwhile the child was bouncing around the restaurant totally unsupervised. Mind you this was a young child and we are in the heart of the city. It just left me shaking my head and wondering. Sometimes we don't see the simple gifts right in front of us. I wanted to tell these parents to........... Put down the PHONE, have a meaningful conversation, and build bonds and connections that will make life worth living.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The oblivious nature of some parents is so very true. I am always shocked at how little positive attention many children receive. It is no wonder that they act out in inappropriate ways.
-CB