Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 24, 2013

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2007. That weekend we went for a walk on Roosevelt Island. Peter snapped a photo of Mattie and I on the bridge, most likely after our walk was complete. I can come to that conclusion based on the simple fact that I was carrying a HUGE leaf. Most likely a prize Mattie acquired on our journey. We never left the Island empty handed!

Quote of the day: Take responsibility for your own happiness, do not expect people or things to bring you happiness, or you could be disappointed. ~ Rodolfo Costa


Today I ventured over to my colleague's house in Washington, DC to attend her jewelry party. Laurie is a full time psychotherapist, but in her spare time she makes jewelry. I have known Laurie for over ten years. We first met as board members of the DC Mental Health Counselors Association. Now we both serve on the DC Board of Professional Counseling, which oversees the licensure of professional counselors in the District of Columbia. During our last board meeting, Laurie mentioned to me that she wanted to host a jewelry party and give 20% of her proceeds to Mattie Miracle. I was very honored by her thoughtfulness and generosity. The 20% is not just today, but through December 31 on her website (www.jewelsinthelotus.com).

On Thursday during the Fox 5 interview of our candy drive, my trusty camera literally fell out of my hands and cracked open. So I am operating now without a camera. That may not sound like a big deal, but for me it is! I have had a camera in my purse since Mattie was born. So I unfortunately couldn't take photos today, but I am so happy Laurie and her friend snapped a few! This is a photo of Laurie and me together.

A close up of us! I had the opportunity to meet several of Laurie's friends today and to introduce them to Mattie Miracle. There is an art form to interacting with new people who are unfamiliar with the Foundation, especially when they are at a party to buy jewelry. Some came to support Laurie and to buy jewelry, not necessarily to hear about cancer, and childhood cancer of all things. Nonetheless, I have gotten quite good over the years at determining who wants to hear more about the Foundation and who really would prefer not to, which is fine too. Pushing information and stories onto others is not my goal, especially at a party. If asked I will respond, otherwise, I try to participate in the conversations and just mingle. 

At the end of the evening, one person said to me that I must be happy to receive the 20% from today's sale, in that it will go toward paying my salary. That I felt like I had to clear up ASAP! I explained to those listening that I do not receive a salary for the work that I do, and the funds that we do raise go directly to supporting children with cancer and their families, or toward our national campaign for a psychosocial standard of care. They were surprised to hear this. But remember some of these ladies were my former colleagues, so as they told me, in their eyes I am very talented and can accomplish anything. So in their minds that means I should be compensated for what I do even now. I understood and appreciated the compliments.    
 

No comments: