Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 30, 2014

Friday, May 30, 2014

Friday, May 30, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken on May 28 of 2009. You just got to love this photo. Mattie was using his big fly swatter to capture the artistically created bugs that Jessie (one of his art therapists) was flying about the room! Naturally this seems like a lot of fun for my bug affectionato, and it was, but in all of his fun, there was also a physical therapy component designed and factored into it. Mattie thought he was chasing bugs, the rest of us were pleased that he was using his hands and arms and putting pressure on his feet when he was standing. 


Quote of the day: What does it mean to care? Let me start by saying that the word care has become a very ambivalent word. When someone says: 'I will take care of him!' it is more likely an announcement of an impending attack than of a tender compassion. And besides this ambivalence, the word is most often used in a negative way. 'Do you want coffee or tea?' 'I don't care.' 'Do you want to stay home or go to a movie?' 'I don't care.' 'Do you want to walk or go by car?' 'I don't care.' This expression of indifference toward choices in life has become commonplace. And often it seems that not to care has become more acceptable than to care, and a carefree life-style more attractive than a careful one. ~ Henri J.M. Nouwen 


It seems like an incredible spring of sadness of us. As if we needed any help. I am very tired from Foundation work which doesn't help at all, and being so exhausted it makes things much harder to put anything into perspective, but then on top of that my 85 year old friend Mary died in March, my 31 year old friend with Osteosarcoma, Jocelyn, died in April, and now my 50+ year old friend who I have known for a decade is coming to the end of her battle with a neurological disease. This is a lot of loss to contend with back to back on top of already losing Mattie. On top of already being very depleted from working non-stop, and frankly I am not sure I have ever fully recovered from all the illness I have been dealing with since February. When I feel this way, I can easily say enough is enough! I really do not want to take in any more information, hear another problem, or truly reach out to friends. In fact, it is times like these when I feel more isolated because I feel it isn't possible for someone to understand the true extent of such multiple losses or my daily life.


The highlight of my day, which wasn't even for me, was receiving this edible arrangement! I went down to our front desk to pick this up! Everyone was excited for us. In so many ways, our front desk looks out for us and when something nice happens for us, they are happy too! Our friends from Georgetown University Hospital sent this to Peter today because they know he has been ill! I am not sure who was happier, me or Peter? If you want to make me happy, just give me food! This brightened up our day and yes we may be donors to the Hospital, but I expect nothing. So when I get gifts because someone is thinking of me, I always find it touching. 




As promised, today's blog photos will feature Lego Train and cityscape designs at the Fifth Annual Mattie Miracle Walk! As you can see this mom and daughter duo were enjoying the animation! It takes the WAMALUGs (http://wamalug.com/)  and WAMAltcs (http://wamaltc.org/)
hours to set up this display at the Walk, but their designs never disappoint. These groups have been with us FOUR YEARS in a row!!!!

This year we had a team of four set up this amazing Lego
structure which is truly remarkable when you look at it in total!







The fellow in blue is Rich Schamus. Rich and his wife, Linda have participated in our Walk four years in a row and are in charge of bringing the Legos to our Walk! 







Have you ever seen a more intricate city? All I know is Mattie would have LOVED this and if he had become older, I could have pictured him as one of these adults with the same sort of passion for building, creating, and passing along this enthusiasm with others. 



Check out the train going by! This is NOT just a life less model! Everything here moves, that is what makes it so fascinating to young and old alike!

No comments: