Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 26, 2014

Monday, May 26, 2014

Monday, May 26, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken on Memorial Day of 2009. It is hard to believe this was five years ago today! To us, it seems like it was only yesterday. I can still very vividly remember what it felt like to battle osteosarcoma, to live in a PICU 24 hours a day, and to live on the edge seven days a week. Time moves forward, but some things remain the same. What remains are the memories and the simple fact of the matter is that on September 8, 2009, Peter and came home from Georgetown University Hospital as a twosome. We lost our threesome status. As schools begin to let out for the summer now and families begin to make plans for the summer, this begins another challenging season for Peter and me. 


Quote of the day: Caring is our curse. If we don’t care, we can’t get hurt. But if we didn't care, the world would be a dark place to live. We have to deal with it and realize life isn't fair. People are taken out of our lives, and others live who don’t deserve to continue. ~ Mandi Lynn


I promise to return to Foundation Walk photos tomorrow! I am happy to say that this weekend all Foundation Walk materials have been securely put away in closets and cabinets! This is a major feat of organization! Now it is just a matter of final Walk paperwork to complete. 

This morning I decided to bake chocolate chip cookies from scratch! Our complex's painter, who was kind enough to paint our deck for us did not want to be paid for his services. Instead he asked for cookies and some other items in return. So I put a gift bag together of goodies and did some baking! I love cookies, but I wouldn't bake them for just myself! So today I had a great excuse!

Then I put together this mermaid gift. I actually bought this mermaid plant stand years ago and just never planted the plant and put it together. Finally I assembled it and I will be delivering it to Mattie's art teacher tomorrow. I suppose better late than never! My heart was in the right place. Mattie's teacher LOVES mermaids and Debbie and Mattie had a very special bond. In fact, Debbie was the first teacher to tell me how special and unique Mattie was. She called him "an old soul." She saw right away his artistic talents and it was Debbie who worked with Mattie to create, "Mr. Sun." Which is the huge painting of the Sun that hangs in our dining room, and became the symbol for the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation. 




Peter and I ventured to Huntley Meadows Park today. This is a VERY special park which contains 1500 acres of wetlands. We used to take Mattie to this park often and though it is a bit of a drive for us, it is well worth the trip! It is a piece of heaven not far from the city. I attached a link to the park in case you want more information on the park:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/huntley-meadows-park/


While walking on the amazing boardwalk at Huntley Meadow, I spotted something slithering by in the water. Peter captured this snake and I came home and did a Google search to find out that it was a Juvenile Northern Black Racer Snake! I personally despise snakes, but Mattie LOVED them and would have practically jumped in the water if he saw this sighting today!










Huntley Meadows has 1/2 miles of boardwalk over a marsh, which is absolutely incredible. The bird life you see is beyond special. It is a birders paradise and people come with binoculars and their cameras. 






Of course in the water are turtles (as you can see), frogs (who were making a RACKET), ducks, and geese. Also great evidence of beavers busy at work! 






To me this is absolutely a beautiful sight! So peaceful and green. It is the perfect escape from the hectic pace of city living. 







We snapped this photo from the elevated tower along the boardwalk. But it gives you an idea for the tranquility  that surrounds you. Even though other people are also visiting the park, they appreciate the beauty and respect the quiet nature of the surroundings. Though I do not venture to Huntley Meadows on a regular basis, each time I visit, I say to Peter...... we need to come here MORE often!

No comments: