Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 13, 2014

Monday, October 13, 2014

Monday, October 13, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2006. I happen to love this photo Peter took of Mattie and me with this wonderfully whitish pumpkin. This thing was huge, but the true gift of the photo was Mattie's adorable smile and how much he was enjoying the Fall Festival. 


Quote of the day: Rapid change, accommodating it can be one of the great human capacities. But living through it can be the stuff of stress and often suffering. ~ Ron Suskind




In the midst of another grey and rainy Washington, DC day, our Butterfly Ginger Lily is blooming!!! This plant has been an incredible producer and I am so happy we brought it home from the Outer Banks of North Carolina in June. I will never forget the man who told us about it. When Peter and I visited the Elizabethan Gardens on Roanoke Island of the Outer Banks, we met one of the grounds keepers of the Gardens. I got to talking with him and he told me that working in the Gardens was special for him ever since he lost his grandmother. In a way connecting with nature helps him stay connected to her. He was talking my language! As we were talking he educated Peter and I about the Butterfly Ginger Lilies that he had planted and how special these plants are! He told me that when they blossom I was going to absolutely love their fragrance because they are intoxicating! So before we left the gardens that day we went to the gift shop and bought a small plant to take home. Needless to say since June, this small plant has grown to my size and has been producing incredible flowers that to me smell like jasmine or gardenias. Depending on the moment you capture them. Either case, they are very special and smell nothing like a lily!!!! Seeing these flowers are a wonderful gift to receive on a grey Fall day. 

For the past 48 hours I have been glued to a computer and at the same time doing a test at home for my kidney stones. So it has been quite the process. I figured since I was going to be home attached to the computer, this would be the perfect time to get this test over with for my nephrologist. All I can say is that in three days this book chapter will be turned in and this will conclude book chapters for me for a while. I have been at it for five months now, so this will be a real reprieve!

No comments: