Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 15, 2014

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2006. Mattie got this little pumpkin at his preschool and carved it himself. He was very proud of his accomplishment and we put a candle inside of it to display this cute jack o'lantern. With Mattie all these moments had a great deal of excitement attached to them. You can almost feel the excitement in his smile. 


Quote of the day: What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce. Karl Lagerfeld



As I was preparing power point slides for the conference we are attending next week, I was going through months of photos. Photos from the time Mattie was diagnosed to when he died. Why? Because the nature of our presentation is to discuss the quality of Mattie's life and our life, pre-cancer to his death. It is through understanding our quality of life or lack there of, that one will see what inspired us to advocate and have a vision to develop a national standard for psychosocial care. Certainly Peter and I will talk about Mattie's quality of life as well as discuss our own, but to me photos have a way of capturing the essence of what is being conveyed and doing it justice in a way that remains very memorable! I can verbally state that Mattie was sad, depressed, or exhausted to an audience! But a photo that illustrates this leaves quite an impression. In fact, once I finish the slides, I may upload them to the blog so you can understand what I am talking about! 


In any case, one of the slides in our presentation discusses the quality of life Peter and I had in the hospital. I created a photo collage on this slide and one of the photos presented is this one! You maybe asking yourself, what is this? A field with Canadian Geese! So what does this have to do with cancer and Mattie's care, much less our quality of life??? Well actually it has a lot to do with it. On occasion, Mattie would get a room like this that had a window that overlooked the field. This was the GOOD view. Some of the other rooms had windows that literally looked out onto a brick wall! Totally depressing. However, in many ways this field view was equally depressing to me. It was depressing because while we were trapped inside watching Mattie undergoing painful treatments and other horrors, I could see college students outside on the field practicing and playing sports. They were living and healthy!!! It was very frustrating to know I couldn't control Mattie's disease or our life. It showed me how different my world was, and I did not like it. This view brought me great sadness and showed me what I was missing and it was a constant reminder of our differences. All of this impacted my quality of life in a subtle way but it was pervasive as it clouded my mood and outlook. I needed the window open to get natural sunlight/daylight into the room, but Mattie really did not want the curtain open. He tolerated my needs, but you can see why he wanted to shut out the world. When you feel different and are different, sometimes you need to protect yourself from further hurt. 

No comments: