Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 5, 2014

Friday, December 5, 2014

Friday, December 5, 2014


Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2002. Mattie was eight months old and sitting in one of his favorite toys or devices.... the jumper. This thing attached to any door frame. Then Mattie could sit in it and jump up and down to his heart's content. Mattie loved movement and being free. He wasn't a crawler, EVER! The jumper allowed him to stand and move around without assistance which he loved and then when he grew tired of jumping, we would swing him in the jumper. This was one of the MUST have items on our list with Mattie! 


Quote of the day: Don't allow your mind to tell your heart what to do. The mind gives up easily. Paulo Coelho


I think tonight's quote is so applicable to the work that I do each day with the Foundation. When many of us choose a professional, we typically select something that our minds are GOOD at! That we can wrap our head around. Something that makes sense to us, maybe a skill we have, or something that we love doing and understand and want to do! It can be problematic to be regulated by one's heart rather than one's mind. When you make decisions with your heart, the decisions can be more impulsive, they can be more emotionally based and they at times can be more raw and based on something more personal. This has pluses and minuses. 

With the Foundation, all paths somehow lead back to Mattie! It is kind of like the North Star! He is our compass and guides many decisions. Again this can be a blessing and a curse, it is a curse because at times I feel like Don Quixote in search of a windmill trying to fix a wrong. But of course the wrong was committed a long time ago in September of 2008, when Mattie died, and that can't be repaired. Yet in my work, my windmill still spins in hope of finding that fix. Of course logically nothing I do will ever repair this hole. I can find myself on conference calls, like today, and I hear professionals talking about a topic I LIVED! Especially when issues like bereavement come up. To me bereavement and loss are not theory. They are real. These are issues that are pervasive, they impact my life today, tomorrow, and into the future. But I am not alone. I feel like I represent all the other bereaved parents out there who lost a child to cancer. When I hear conversations that try to lump "our" issues in with other issues related to cancer, I can't take it! It is like petting a cat backwards, and usually that is when my heart takes over, and forget the mind. I have developed a new tag line.... bereaved parents are the "forgotten ones." Once our children die, we fall off the radar scope of most care institutions. If you are lucky enough to have a care institution follow you one year post death, you are lucky, but after that point, then what? Some hospitals may invite you back year after year to their annual remembrance ceremony in the hospital chapel, but in my mind that doesn't constitute support. That is once a year, what happens all the other days in the year? What happens during the holidays? How are you supposed to integrate back into a world which doesn't understand grief and loss in general, much less the death of a child? 

With the death of Mattie, my mind has been taken hostage by my heart. I am aware of this in myself and I do try to keep it in check since I do know that not every one can manage my outbursts at times. Yet my outbursts are not usually intentionally directed at people. It may be perceived that way, but that is the challenge of working on something that you are emotionally connected to.... at times your heart will always outweigh the mind. 

No comments: