Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 3, 2014

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2003. Mattie was a year and a half old. By this point we were already taking Mattie to Fall festivals and he was in love with collecting pumpkins at each outing. He would display them all over our home and use them in play schemes and so forth. Watching Mattie at work was always fascinating and fun because you never knew what was going to happen next, but sure enough, there was always going to be a plan. Thankfully I never had my camera far away to capture these "ordinary" yet now what I would consider magical moments in time.



Quote of the day: Every friend was once a stranger and if you know this, you have to understand that conversations are the beginning of connection. ~ Israelmore Ayivor


Tonight's quote resonates with me. Or I guess Peter would say it SHOULD resonate with me or DESCRIBES me to a T. He jokes with me that people just can't seem to pass me by without having a conversation with me, and that my conversations land up developing into friendships! I don't know why people want to tell me their stories, share their life histories with me, or tell me their problems! I really don't know, all I know is they have for as long as I can remember. Even as a child! I can recall kids wanting me to stay after school, to "consult" with me. I remember our carpool wanting to absolutely KILL me because they always had to wait for me! I was never on time! I wasn't on time, mainly because I was always making time for someone else. 

Today I connected with someone who was a "stranger" at one time to me, but after interacting with her for many years in a work context, we have gotten the chance to get to know each other in a more friendly sort of way. In any case, I have heard about the ins and outs of her life, the ups and downs, the close connections of her family and so forth, and just like any of us when we get invested in someone's life we begin to see patterns in their lives. Yet the story she shared with me today, caught me very much off guard, I wasn't expecting the news she shared. It left me upset for me.

It reminds me once again, how holidays can be blessings for some and yet truly devastating for others. As I saw for my friend today. On top of that, I noticed the Foundation was receiving memorial donations today. Quickly we surmised that Elissa Naiman died after her long battle with lung cancer. Like so many victims of this horrific disease, Elissa never smoked a day in her life and though many of us like to look for causes for why we get ill, some times there is NO logic and NO reasoning. Which is truly frustrating and abundantly scary. The Naiman family have been supporters of the Foundation and avid blog readers and we are deeply moved that they chose to have friends and family donate to Mattie Miracle as a way to acknowledge Elissa's spirit and memory. Here is another incredible example of how cancer has transformed another family forever. Whoever says cancer is JUST a biological disease has GOT IT ALL VERY wrong!!! It is a disease that produces lasting and deep psychological and emotional effects on everyone in its wake.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bostonglobe/obituary.aspx?n=elissa-braga-naiman&pid=173357466&fhid=25324

No comments: