Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 16, 2015

Monday, February 16, 2015

Monday, February 16, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. It was close to Valentine's Day and Mattie received this huge lollipop from one of his classmates at school. Mattie thought it was hysterical, especially since it was bigger than his head. Pictured next to Mattie was one of his nurses, Erin. Mattie decided to give Erin one of his lollipops, and as you can see, Erin held up the candy to compare sizes! Clearly no comparison to Mattie's super sized lollipop!!! Erin was an amazing nurse and one of our first nurses we experienced at the hospital. But not unlike many of the oncology nurses, Erin did not remain long at the hospital. I suspect there is a great deal of turn over because of burn out and other issues that arise. Nonetheless, I will always remember Erin because despite her youth, she was an extremely competent, caring, and intuitive individual. She helped me and listened to my feelings in and out of the room on many occasions. In addition to that, one night Mattie was having a super challenging night of pain and agitation! She tried to distract him and encouraged Mattie to draw her a picture. He did just that and later she put that creation on her refrigerator. She even sent us a photo of Mattie's picture on her refrigerator and Mattie and I were honored!


Quote of the day: Lack of compassion is just as vulgar as an excess of tears. ~ Dowager Countess Grantham (Downton Abbey)

Today I received a package at my front desk. The package was sent to me by my friend in cancer. The gift inside was very touching and it came from the Ty Louis Campbell Foundation. In fact the jewelry sold benefits the Ty Louis Campbell Foundation, which gives 100% of the proceeds to childhood cancer awareness and research. The founder of the Ty Louis Campbell Foundation lost her son, Ty, to brain cancer in 2012. She now designs jewelry to raise cancer funds and to fill the need for awareness jewelry that isn't made of rubber or plastic. 

Here is a photo of the beautiful locket! But the locket came with a lovely card! Inside the card it read.............

"I carry your heart" locket that I have worn in memory of Ty ever since my unbearable loss. The poem (see below) holds such deep meaning for me, and helps me honor the deep and undeniable love I share with my son, my greatest gift, despite losing him. The locket has since been gifted to dozens of grieving moms who lost their precious children to cancer, and I hope to be able to give many more over time. 

Inside the locket is the lovely pumpkin photo of Mattie!!! 

The card continues on...........
"My heart continues to break every day as I watch and read about each child lost to cancer over and over again. In an effort to provide just a shred of comfort to more and more moms who share the same broken heart, we launched a program that allows others to sponsor an anonymous gift to a mom who lost her child to cancer. We hope the enclosed does just that for you. Know that your child is loved and remembered by so many. To learn more visit, www.prettystore.org."


"I carry your heart" ... I carry it in my heart! by E.E. Cummings


The sentiments of the poem are beautiful and the symbolism of the locket is quite meaningful. The locket is in essence a representation of how grieving parents live their lives! Grieving parents keep their memories, feelings, and thoughts of one's child locked away from the real world. Trying to look normal, together, and perhaps shiny and golden like the exterior of this locket. But internally grieving parents carry their child's heart with them always and just like the inside of the locket, their minds are filled with memories, pictures, and things that are intangible and unforgettable. 

No comments: