Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 24, 2015

Friday, July 24, 2015

Friday, July 24, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. I recently found this photo on the blog and downloaded it back into my electronic files. I am so happy I have the blog, because for some reason there are several photos I have just lost track of during Mattie illness and I can't seem to find them anywhere. Except on the blog. Every photo to me is special, which is why the blog is so important. It is like a documentary of Mattie's battle and then our subsequent journey trying to cope with life without Mattie. 

This photo features Mattie and Whitney on our couch. Whitney was a child life intern at the Hospital and one of Mattie's favorites. Whitney and her buddy Lesley, were one of the first two child life interns Mattie worked with at Georgetown, and this twosome became an instant hit with Mattie. Once Whitney's internship ended, she occasionally came over to visit Mattie and play with him so I could catch up on the world falling all around me at home.


Quote of the day: Unable are the loved to die.  For love is immortality.  ~ Emily Dickinson


Today I had the opportunity to leave work behind, as well as my computer and was treated to lunch with a friend. My friend Dawnee took me to a Washington classic in Great Falls, VA called L'Auberge Chez François. I have always wanted to try this restaurant, but it is a bit of a journey. So one needs a special occasion and time to get there. 

It was the perfect weather day for this restaurant. The sun was out, but it wasn't hot and humid. Just delightful to sit outside. This is the outside of the restaurant, and as you can see it has an old world charm! Since it is in Great Falls, driving to it, is very peaceful and scenic!

François Haeringer, the founder of L’Auberge Chez François in Great Falls, Virginia, was a pioneer when he opened the original Chez François in the heart of Washington DC in 1954. Haeringer’s goal was to operate a restaurant with “a nice ambiance and good honest food at affordable prices.” The restaurant’s enduring popularity is a testimony to his success with this approach.

In 1975, the Claridge Hotel, which housed Chez François, was sold to make room for an office building. Instead of retiring at age 57, Haeringer decided to fulfill his dream of opening an “auberge” – a family inn prevalent in his native Alsatian countryside. After finding the perfect six acres of rolling green hills in Great Falls, L’Auberge Chez François opened in 1976, and became a family business. Eldest son Jacques, by then a chef in his own right, became Chef de Cuisine. The dining rooms are filled with Haeringer family heirlooms and murals depicting scenes of Haeringer’s place of birth, Obernai, France.


The restaurant has this stunning outdoor patio! Featuring beautiful red themed furniture and plantings. It resonated with me since my favorite color and Mattie's is red! The red against the beautiful green garden was just stunning! 
As we were eating butterflies were fluttering by as well as birds.



Surrounding the tables above are gardens all around. Even a fountain is part of the gardens. It has to be on of the most charming patio dining areas in the Washington, DC area I have come across. To me it is worth the trip to Great Falls, and I am so happy I know about this gem and was able to spend the day here.  


No comments: