Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 19, 2015

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. This was my last birthday with Mattie. Mattie made me a birthday card with the help of my in-laws. They designed a lighthouse card for me because they all knew how much I love lighthouses. Mattie presented me the card and Peter captured our tender moment together. What you can also clearly see from this photo was how emaciated Mattie was at this point in his treatment. His arms and legs looked more like parts of a skeleton rather than appendages of a growing seven year old boy.  They were visuals to us always that Mattie was very sick and dying.



Quote of the day: Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude.  A.A. MilneWinnie-the-Pooh


Last night, my friends Tina and Ann hosted a pre-birthday party for me at Tina's house. This is something they both did for me last year too in which they invite several of our friends to come and celebrate the occasion. The summer is a hard time to gather people because so many go away and have plans, yet despite the season each party had a good turn out. It is lovely to be able to gather with friends and have their support in July. Some may not even be aware of this anymore, but to me July will always be associated with Mattie's diagnosis. Therefore this clouds over my birthday and summer in a way. Mattie was diagnosed with cancer on July 23, and my birthday is on July 25. Yet for other parents who lost only children to cancer, the summer in general is a challenging time. Summer represents a time where families do things together, kids are off from school, and it is impossible not to be cognizant of what is missing from our lives no matter how well grounded we maybe with loss. 

Though it is hot in the summer time, everyone entertains me by having the party outside. I prefer natural air to air conditioning. So to me, having an outdoor party is very much preferred and special. 





Pictured here from left to right are: Grace (a preschool mom), Vicki, Ilona (my friend who also lost a son to cancer), Tina (my first friend I met after Mattie died), and Maria (a friend who works in my complex)!






Tina was one of the hosts of last night's party! The party was held at Tina's house. Tina is not only a friend but a strong supporter of Mattie Miracle. 






I met all of these moms through Resurrection Children's Center, Mattie's preschool. To this day, I am still friends with them. They are all supporters of Mattie Miracle and volunteers as well. 

From left to right are: Dawnee, Tanja, Catherine, Vicki, Jane, Grace, and Ann




Pictured with me are Grace and Ilona.

Grace was one of the very first moms I met at Mattie's preschool. She knew that we had a terrible experience at a former preschool prior to coming to Resurrection Children's Center and I always remember her telling me that things would be different at Resurrection. Her kindness and caring during my first encounter were never forgotten and we have been connected ever since.  

Pictured with me are Leslie and Mike. Leslie was my freshman year roommate in college and Mike is her husband. Mike was our friend in college too, so we all know each other for quite some time. I was Leslie's maid of honor at her wedding and we have stayed connected with each other all these years. Leslie and Mike are also supporters of Mattie Miracle and their daughter has done many service learning projects for the Foundation. 

From left to right are: Darryl (Maria's fiance), Vicki, Mike (Debbi's husband), Maria, and Debbi

Maria is our friend and she is one of our biggest Mattie Miracle fans and supporters. She helps us in numerous ways. The irony is I knew Maria's dad before meeting Maria since her dad wrote my immunology textbook that I used when I was a college student. I was so amazed to actually meet him and be connected with Maria years later. 

Debbi was Mattie's sedation nurse angel. We couldn't have survived in the hospital without her presence. Mattie was so traumatized by all scans and procedures that he literally couldn't have undergone any of them without sedation. Which is how we got to know Debbi so well. Debbi handled Mattie's sedation, but in the process helped Peter and I cope and manage some absolutely horrific experiences on a day to day basis. To this day, our closeness remains.


In lieu of gifts, I asked that my friends consider donating Geurig Kcups and kid bandaids to me last night. All of these items will go to MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, to our Foundation's snack and item cart. These items support in-patient families caring for children who are dealing with life threatening or long term illnesses. 





No comments: