Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 29, 2015

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 -- Mattie died 316 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken seven years ago, on September 28, 2008. It is hard to believe that seven years ago Mattie was in our lives and we were battling cancer beside him. Seven years sounds like a long time, and yet it really seems like yesterday this was all happening. Mattie was pictured with a laptop that was given to him by Mary, his technology teacher at school. For the entire 14 months Mattie was in the hospital, he had access to this computer. Mattie wasn't big into technology for the most part, but there were times within the hospital that the computer served as a great diversion for Mattie! Mattie would create all sorts of art work on the computer using the paint program and there were many instances that Mattie even recorded his own voice on this computer. Which was a gift that Mary shared with me last year, she was able to download Mattie's song to me off this computer. I have yet to listen to this recording, because it is much harder for me to hear Mattie's voice than to see the photos of him. 



Quote of the day: Remembering tires a person out. this is something they don't teach us. Exercising one's memory is an exhausting activity. It draws our energy and wears down our muscles. Juan Gabriel Vásquez


The Capital Wheel opened in May of 2014, and is considered an iconic attraction in the DC area. It is said that when you ride it, you will feel like you’re sitting on top of the world. As you soar 180 feet above the Potomac River waterfront, you will marvel at the incomparable views. Sights visible include the White House and Capitol, the National Mall, Arlington Cemetery, City of Alexandria, Prince George’s County and the lush park lands throughout the DC-Maryland-Virginia region.

The wheel has an overall height of 180 feet and sits on a 770-foot-long pier extending into the adjacent Potomac River, easily visible to passengers on flights to or from National Airport. The 165-foot diameter wheel carries 42 climate-controlled passenger gondolas, each able to seat eight people, including a VIP gondola that can be rented for weddings or celebrations. The wheel has programmable special-effects lighting as well. 


This summer I wrote to the Capital Wheel's management and asked them whether they would light up the wheel in GOLD lights for childhood cancer month in September. I literally wrote to every management person at National Harbor. However, NO ONE ever responded to me. I figured my request fell on deaf ears, until I saw this announcement on Facebook! 

So tonight, I went to National Harbor with my friends in cancer, Ilona and Attila, to witness the GOLD lights on this Capital Wheel. The ironic part about this is, how my request came about. I know it is hard to get federal buildings or anything associated with the government to turn GOLD in September. I then began wracking my brain to figure out what would be a non-governmental icon in the DC area that I could make a light in GOLD request. It did not hit me until one day while on a airplane, flying home to DC, we literally flew OVER National Harbor (the home of the Capital Wheel). It was at that moment, that I knew the Capital Wheel would be the perfect landmark to start the GOLD campaign in DC. 


A beautiful tribute in GOLD!

















Though it was pouring, we took several photos of the wheel in its GOLD glory! Because of the rain and the winds, the wheel wasn't operational!








This sight made two moms (I am standing next to my friend Ilona) who lost their only children very pleased. It is hard to get anything in DC to turn GOLD, but National Harbor honored our community's desire to bring awareness to childhood cancer. 

No comments: